Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reverse Clipping Mask

New Here ,
Jul 29, 2017 Jul 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

This may be a simple question, but I can't work it out. I am trying to clip out some parts of an image I have created. An example of this can be seen here:

Screen Shot 2017-07-30 at 3.55.10 pm.png

I have created this using four circles, two black and two white. I actually only want the "visible" (if I consider white to be invisible) parts to be the vector image. I have attempted to make a clipping mask, but it seems to be doing the opposite:

Screen Shot 2017-07-30 at 3.55.43 pm.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-30 at 3.55.55 pm.png

How can I make it so only the dark sections are the image (ie. chop the paths of the dark circles using the bounds of the white circles)?

Cheers!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 30, 2017 Jul 30, 2017

Taz,

An Opacity Mask will do that. It can do as a Clipping Mask, and the opposite, and anything in between. And unlike a Clipping Mask it is all about appearance, hence often easier to work with when both kinds might be used.

In this case, select the white full circle filled path and the black path (which may be a stroked path) to be clipped, then in the Transparency palette flyout click Make Opacity Mask with Clip unticked and Invert Mask ticked. Only one white path is needed.

This will make the u

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2017 Jul 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Taz,

An Opacity Mask will do that. It can do as a Clipping Mask, and the opposite, and anything in between. And unlike a Clipping Mask it is all about appearance, hence often easier to work with when both kinds might be used.

In this case, select the white full circle filled path and the black path (which may be a stroked path) to be clipped, then in the Transparency palette flyout click Make Opacity Mask with Clip unticked and Invert Mask ticked. Only one white path is needed.

This will make the unwanted black bits go away and take the white cover up with them. You can see it if you put a coloured object behind it all, or Show Grid or Transparency Grid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines