• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Right-click bug with new OSX update (El Capitan)

Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2015 Oct 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I just updated to new OSX El Capitan, seeing that no compactibility issues with Adobe Illustrator were reported. But after I started it, I found out there is no right-click any more. Context menu won't show up no matter what I do. I tried everything, CTRL+left click, disabling Graphic Acceleration, and all the usual stuff, but it didn't help. Then I disconnected my external monitor and right click menu started showing up again. And when I connect my external monitor, the right-click menu gets disabled again. It doesn't matter which monitor I use for Illustrator, it happens on both of them. I'm using an Macbook Pro 15" Retina 2013 with GeForce graphics card.

Does anybody know a solution for this? For now I have to choose if I will work 2x slower (without external monitor) or 3-4x slower (without right click) and my job is suffering.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 30, 2015 Nov 30, 2015

Hello,

We have fixed this issue in our latest CC 2015.2 update. Please apply the patch using Adobe Creative Cloud application.

If you do not see the patch right away

1. Go to Adobe Creative Cloud application
  2. Click on the Gear icon on the top right
  3. From the menu select “Check for App Updates”

Regards,

Ashutosh Chaturvedi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2015 Oct 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

edin,

If it is with El Capitan and you have Suitcase, you may try to uninstall Suitcase until the issue is sorted between Apple and Extensis.

Apart from that, I believe the right order/way is to update the OS, then reinstall the applications. Was that how you did it?

If not, it may be best to reinstall using the full three step way (otherwise strange things may linger):

1) Uninstall (ticking the box to delete the preferences),

2) Run the Cleaner Tool, see link below,

3) Reinstall.

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

You may try to skip 2) and see whether it works without it.

Also you may need to update drivers (Wacom and others).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, you think this might have something to do with the Wacom Tablet? You might be right. I haven't considered things from that angle at all. Thanks! I'll try to remove the Wacom driver and see if it has any effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

edin,

We may see. Do you have Suitcase? Or some other plugin(s) from Extensis?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edin,

I have the same problem as you. With new OSX ElCapitan update, the right-click function in Illustrator is missing. I also use an additional monitor. If you found the solution please let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same issue. Also with two monitors. Don't have suitcase installed. In fact, I don't have any plugins installed. Pure Creative Cloud. I've tried to reinstall Illustrator but it still doesn't work properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have had this problem since I updated to El Capitan on Friday. AND I also use a second monitor/wacom tablet (21UX)

I haven't found a solution yet but I had been thinking that it has something to do with my Suitcase Fusion 6 font management software because of another Suitcase-specific error message - my re-install of Illustrator fixed the missing context menu but opening Suitcase caused it to disappear again.

Jacob will be familiar with this and I must admit that I haven't yet tried a re-install of Suitcase.

However, perhaps it is something to with drivers for a second monitor? Or is it just a coincidence that we all have one?

This is a thing I had not considered. Interested to know if anyone finds a solution to the missing context menu down this route.

Also, @edinp31589456‌I agree, not having it makes working on anything so much slower.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I find it is only in Illustrator.

I still get a 'context menu' if I ctrl-click anywhere in Photoshop... or on the desktop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After reading your comments regarding external monitors (of which I have two) I discovered that when I unplug one of my external monitors, I am again able to right click in Adobe Illustrator. SO I am experiencing the exact same issue. This does not solve the issue, but rather narrows it down to Apple and Adobe with regards to the use of external displays and/or VRAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding to the list, one more user with the same problem here.

Right click is gone. Unplug external monitors, right click works.

Shame Adobe is taking so long to fix something so simple.

They just need to change line 39280 in the file FPLgraphmonitorCP.hdl with the new code "$right-click=enable;".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2015 Oct 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JuniorMadureira schrieb:

They just need to change line 39280 in the file FPLgraphmonitorCP.hdl with the new code "$right-click=enable;".

Then why don't you tell them?

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, this seems surely to be an issue between Illustrator and El Capitan and second monitors.

I forgot to mention because it didn't seem relevant to begin with but I actually have a Cintiq 21ux tablet AND a separate second monitor attached.

When I unplug the Cintiq tablet nothing happens the ctrl-click (right click) is still gone.

However, when I unplug the second monitor, the ctrl-click comes back!

I think that has to be it! I hope this gets fixed quickly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be more specific, plugging just one of them back in made the ctrl-click (right click) context menu disappear.

They both have to be unplugged.

It's not a Wacom Cintiq specific problem for me. I would appear two be 2+ displays generally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE.

After leaving the tablet and monitor unplugged for a while, I re-attached the monitor and I still have the ctrl-click context menu! I have no idea why.

However, when I plug in the Cintiq 21ux tablet the context menu disappears once more. I know the Wacom driver for this tablet is only good for x10.10 at the moment.

So I will wait for a new Wacom driver. At least I am now working with the context menu AND a second monitor, that's better than Yesterday and Friday.

Sorry I don't know why it came back though. I fully expect it the fail on the next startup... at which point I'll be back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pete

My Wacom is the plain Intuos, no monitor capabilities - I use just the normal Dell IPS LCD as a second monitor. I completely uninstalled the Wacom drivers and removed all traces of them from the system. Still the problem persists with the second monitor and now I can confirm it is caused by using ANY external monitor. Wacom drivers seem to have no influence on this, installed or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Pete, some in the forums have 3 monitors including myself. Once we remove 1 of the 3, the right click returns. However, based on another post, when you restart with 2 monitors instead of the original 3, the right click disappears again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

two monitors, updated Suitcase 17.3.0, still no right click. 

Change monitor setting to MIRROR them, and the right click comes back. Not that mirroring is a useful setup.  It hopefully helps somebody to FIX this quick.  Don't care if it's Apple or Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2015 Oct 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. Second monitor kills the context menu. Hopefully there is a fix very soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2015 Oct 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform for feature requests or bug reports to be sure Adobe knows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2015 Oct 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

disable Creative Cloud Charts in Technology Previews, and restart. Worked for me, hope it helps you too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Makim,

Disabling Creative Cloud Charts did not work for me.

I still have to unplug one of the displays for the Illustrator context menu to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same... Context menu only works when I unplug the 2nd monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe told me how to fix this.

Remove ~/Library/Adobe Illustrator/en_   folder.. actually you'll want to copy this/rename..

delete all ~/Library/ adobe.xxx.plist files  maybe copy also...

Reboot.

Right click works!!  Yea!

reconfigure all those good settings trashed in step one.

Then you realize it is only worked for one time starting up Illustrator.

You have to repeat this every time you want to run Illustrator.

They are aware of this, don't have this complicated solution posted, so the tech support has to do this for you, or type in the steps in a chat.

Got to love Tech "Support".

Or you could buy a 3rd Monitor, and un plug it every time you run Illustrator to bring back the right click.  Yea that's an easier "solution".

All equally effective solutions.    not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully they will have a permanent fix for this soon. It's extremely frustrating and the temporary fix is just not practical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2015 Oct 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edin, others,

You may try to update the ElCapitan 10.11 build to 15A284 and see wether it solves the issue. First posted by Rama here:

Re: Right Click doesn't work at all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines