Highlighted

Save as PDF decreases or increases the artwork size...

Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! 

My collegue has updated his Illustrator to the newest version. Now everytime he saves his file as a PDF his artwork has decreased in size. (10%) With my Illustrator it does not happen so I have exported my settings so he would have the same settings as me. But now when he saves his files as PDFs his artwork increases in size (x2). So for instance his artwork is 10x10 cm, when he saves the artwork with his own settings the artwork will become 1x1 cm and with my settings 20x20cm... Does anyone know how this can be solved?

Thanks in advance!

Correct answer by Junenine | Community Beginner

And since we also need to ''order our design'' we upload it to our distributors website to check if it meets their requirements.. It also says that the artwork is to small. 

We have resetted every settings possible in Illustrator and now it seems to be exporting just fine!

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Save as PDF decreases or increases the artwork size...

Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! 

My collegue has updated his Illustrator to the newest version. Now everytime he saves his file as a PDF his artwork has decreased in size. (10%) With my Illustrator it does not happen so I have exported my settings so he would have the same settings as me. But now when he saves his files as PDFs his artwork increases in size (x2). So for instance his artwork is 10x10 cm, when he saves the artwork with his own settings the artwork will become 1x1 cm and with my settings 20x20cm... Does anyone know how this can be solved?

Thanks in advance!

Correct answer by Junenine | Community Beginner

And since we also need to ''order our design'' we upload it to our distributors website to check if it meets their requirements.. It also says that the artwork is to small. 

We have resetted every settings possible in Illustrator and now it seems to be exporting just fine!

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uhmmm... Saving As PDF does not change size/dimensions of artwork.

When you chjeck size of PDF page you are reading Artboard measures, not the artwork ones there.

Export your settings, you mean shared your Export settings? Those include options for expor formats, not PDF. PDF is a (Save as) native format for Illustrator.

Can you detail, with an example of an artboard e.g. letter or DinA4 size or 1024x768px saved and open with different dimensions on another computer? Or after saving to PDF and open in Acrobat, which is the artboard (page) size?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

The saving as a PDF does change the size/dimensions. I'm pretty weirded out by it too. Since we also upload our Artwork to one of our distributors websites, it also tells that the artwork is too small. Our Artboard is 97,5 by 97,5 cm. Saving the PDF with a bleed of 1 cm on all sides it should be 99,5 by 99,5 cm. Instead it is 9,95 by 9,95 cm (as it says in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC in the left corner of the PDF. When uploading it to the website of our distributor it says the artwork is to small, 10 by 10 cm > artwork should be 99,5 by 99,5 cm.  

I thought it maybe had something to do with the update, which says ''If the length of the longer page of the Artboard exceeds 5.7 meters (227 inch), the version of the PDF-file must be 1.6. or higher. This preserves Artboard 1: 1. Saving down to an earlier version of the PDF scales the image down 1:10.'' 

But the Artboard we were working with was not larger than 5.7 meters. We have now resetted all the settings of Illustrator and it seems to be working! Still like to figure out where it went wrong though because we were both using the same PDF job options.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly how are you measuring the resulting PDF?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the left corner of Adobe Acrobat Pro DC it always tells you the size when you slide over the page!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THat's great. Can you please mark your own answer as correct, so people know the issue is solved?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it was solved, dardly explainable, thought it looks it's tied to the 10x artboard enlargements. Either it was a casual error/bug or something was missing/wrong with updates. Very likely resorting to Reset Preferences was the way yo get rid of that 1/10 scaling when saving as PDF. 

Had you saved other PDFs, lately, using the same Ai version? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines