Highlighted

Shape Builder Tool Problem

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks.

I'm having this issue that I can't seem to resolve. I have a couple of objects selected. One of them won't seem to "grey out" so that I can merge the objects. Haven't had this issue with any other objects in the design. The object in question isn't grouped. See video. Help? 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by tromboniator | Adobe Community Professional

Thanks for sharing that. The problem seems to be that the large construction is a Compound Shape, and the Shape Builder Tool requires simple paths. Go to either the Object menu > Expand Appearance or to the Pathfinder panel and click Expand. The Pathfinder panel flyout menu also has Expand Compound Shape. That should allow the behavior you're expecting.

Peter

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Shape Builder Tool Problem

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks.

I'm having this issue that I can't seem to resolve. I have a couple of objects selected. One of them won't seem to "grey out" so that I can merge the objects. Haven't had this issue with any other objects in the design. The object in question isn't grouped. See video. Help? 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by tromboniator | Adobe Community Professional

Thanks for sharing that. The problem seems to be that the large construction is a Compound Shape, and the Shape Builder Tool requires simple paths. Go to either the Object menu > Expand Appearance or to the Pathfinder panel and click Expand. The Pathfinder panel flyout menu also has Expand Compound Shape. That should allow the behavior you're expecting.

Peter

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 01, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most likely cause would be a gap in the path. Check to see if the path is closed, or double-click on the Shape Builder Tool in the Toolbar to bring up the Tool options. See if Gap Detection is active, and if so try adjusting to a greater gap length.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 01, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.

I tried Gap Detection with all sizes. Also tried the other various options within the shape builder tool. Still having the same problem. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 03, 2020 0
May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible for you to share the document?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 03, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely. A dumbed down version....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7d2e557k4cye1ef/ShapeBuildIssue.ai?dl=0

Thanks! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 04, 2020 0
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 05, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did the trick. Thanks for the assist Peter!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2020 0
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent! You're welcome. I'm glad I could help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2020 1