• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sometimes when I close my Illustrator CS6 file it automatically saves without asking me if I want to

Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2012 Nov 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, if I didn't want to save the file this creates a problem. It doesn't happen all the time, just ocassionally and I can't figure out why it does it. Any thoughts?

I'm using an iMac 2.5GHz Intel Core i5, Mac OSX 10.7.5, Illustrator CS6 v16.0.0

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2013 Mar 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with saving as well as printing. When I go to print (too) often it skips the dialog box and goes straight to printing. It's frustrating because I use 3 different print settings and substrates and so I wind up wasting a lot of materials and ink.

Is this something that anyone has a fix for?

Thanks.

Running on OSX version 10.8.2 3.2 Ghz intel core i3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2013 Mar 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am frustrated with the same printing and saving issues

Illustrator CS6 v 16.0.0

MacMini

Processor  2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory  2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Software  OS X 10.6.8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2013 Mar 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have CS6 installed on 20 Macs. I have heard the complaint about closing a file and not wanting it saved only to find the file was saved with unwanted edits. I have only heard 2 people state they have seen the print with no dialog issue, but we do not normally print right out of Illustrator. We have also seen when adding a new ink, that an ink is added without the dialog box of how to define it. It appears the default "OK" button is being clicked before you have a chance to see the pop up draw.

Has there been anything offered by Adobe to resolve this? It would be unacceptable to get a resolution by spending thousands of dollars on CS7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2013 Mar 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are experiencing the same issue, but not just with printing/saving, with all commands in general that would normally prompt a dialogue box. It doesn't matter whether you use a shortcut command to prompt the box or if you take the manual route...

There is no way to consistently demonstrate the glitch, because it appears to be totally random.

We are NOT running the cloud version, and we are updated to 16.0.4.

Hope this gets fixed soon...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2013 Mar 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so sick and tired of this problem.  Yesterday I spent 45 minutes with Adobe support and the agent I spoke to claimed to be aware of this issue (after pointing him to this thread and convincing him that that I wasn't just pressing ENTER too quickly) - he even went so far as to say that the “known fix” was to blow away your preferences folder.

Just a few hours later, the problem is still occurring for me.  And now I have to setup my preferences again (or restore them from time machine) - such fun.  If anyone is talking to Adobe about this, and they ask you to reset your preferences, just say no.  Anytime there is an issue, it appears resetting your preferences is the first step offered, rather than fixing the cause of the problem to begin with.

In trying to think outside the box on this one - and figure out a cause and possible solution, I have been thinking about what could be the common thread.  Clearly, this issue is not affecting EVERY Illustrator installation, otherwise we would be seeing a lot more posts here (I think).  But it is affecting a large group of us. From what I can see from this thread, we are all on Macs (the version of Mac OS X does NOT appear to make a difference), we are all running AI 16.x, and the input devices used do not appear to make any difference (USB Keyboard, vs Bluetooth, vs drawing tablets).

Is there anything else common among us? (Other than being p***ed-off at Adobe)

@ed.schrempf - of your 20 macs, do you see anything common on the systems experiencing this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2013 Apr 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any answer to this problem - I think Adobe is ignoring it and it is driving me crazy on all the macs I have it installed on - No tpint dialog sometimes and no save dialog.. Urgh - I hate re-doing work or wasting paper and ink.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Now I even wiped my iMac, clean installed system, just a basic apps, font management, Illustrator, Bridge, Photoshop and InDesign, and the issue is back right away.  No change, just happens faster since my mac is faster after reinstall.

iMac 3.4 GHz i&, 16GM RAM, OS-X 10.8.3, apple USB keyboard, most uptodate Illustrator on Creative Cloud Trial

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tell you what it sounds like then I will tell you what I tthink the problem might be in both cases you w0n't like it.

One you save the file without thinking then you go to do a save as for isntace and there is no need to do so ssince you actually saved it. That what it sounds like.

But two I seem to recall an issue like this years ago maybe more than a decade ago and then once again about a decade ago. Scott might also recall the issue popping but not in recent memory.

At the time it was concluded that this was caused be a cconflict with either another application and or a script, if I recall correctly the first time it might have been caused by a script associated with a folder but on the other occasion it was caused perhaps by software the nature of which I cannot recall.

Now haven't written this I will state that at my age, 68, I might not be recalling this correctly on the otherhand if you are having such a problem and it is being caused by a conflict you might wish to at first contact each other by private message and determine if you have software that is similar, the nature of this software and see if you have software even if not the same but similar in function, especially software that affects the system.

Have written this as well I can assure that it is entirely possible that I am directing you down a dead end road.

However if this is a serious problem for you it might be worht the hike.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure it's not the ONE you suggested. The point is that our documents are being saved after some changes were made and without us wanting the changes to be saved, or without having a chance to change settings before we save (or print) the document (e.g. saving as a copy to PDF just flies thru without giving me a chance to set any parameters).

I'm not sure about your TWO, since as I mentioned I just clean re-installed my machine and have only pretty basic stuff installed, but if someone wants to try and share what we have installed on our systems I would give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is definitely not "One", as hitting "Save As" should always bring up a new dialogue box regardless of whether or not you just saved your file, for example - if you wanted to save it as a different file name.

"Two", I have been using Illustrator for the past 14 years and I do not recall this ever happening before, I started out with Illustrator version 7.

I read somewhere that they rewrote Illustrator CS6 to use the same code/scripting as Fireworks (or Freehand), not sure if that is actually the case but it would explain why it is so buggy and there are features that are missing from CS5. All I know is I hope they fix it soon, it is really dangerous and could cost people a lot of money via accidental overwrites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2013 Apr 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used Freehand since version 1 and still use it to this day and I can say with 100% accuracy, this never has happened with aldus/macromedia products, so this unfortunately is all on Adobe.  This really should be called a "Super Bug" because it is such a costly bug for the end user.  I've said it before I'll say it again and hopefully Adobe is listening, this is like making a car with faulty brakes, the consequuences of this bug are dire and can cost a business time and money or worse yet a client.  It is a basic function we have all learned to trust without second thought, seems like the opposite of progression from the one of the world's leading software manufactures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2013 Apr 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going to be a little tentative with this, but I think I might have found the cause of the problem.

I use Extensis Suitcase Fusion 4 auto-activation in Illustrator to manage and activate fonts.  Last week I disabled the Suitcase Fusion plug-in for Illustrator (I kept the plug-in for InDesign and Photoshop active).  Since doing that, the problem has gone away.

I have no idea why the Extensis plugin has such an over-reaching effect to cause this issue in areas not relating to font activation - but it does. Partial credit has to go to @Brano J. Svac because he mentioned "font management" in his post and it got me thinking.

You can disable the Suitcase Fusion 4 plugin using the Plug-in manager by doing the following:

1. Quit Illustrator
  2. Choose Suitcase Fusion 4 > Manage-Plug-ins (Mac)
  3. Uncheck the Illustrator CS 6 plug-in, you may be asked to authenticate.
  4. Click Done.

Looking forward to hearing if this helps anyone else.  If it does, we'll need to escalate to Extenis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You and @Brano J. Sva are absolutely genius!!!! This is 100% the cause of the probleM, I owe Adobe a big apology for my previous rants!!!! And the solution is 100% correct to disable the plug in as described above. This is the straw that broke the camels back with me and suitcase, I have absolutely hated it since its latesT versions so i will be switching asap.  THANK YOU TEKTRAVELER AND BRANO J SVAC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EXCELLENT! I did as you suggested and so far so good on my end. Way to go guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made this change to the users stating they saw this problem. So far so good. Other than missing the ability to collect fonts so other workstations open the job the same way, I am glad to run less third party software hanging onto third party software. I do have other ways to collect the fonts. Managing the vast amount of updates from all corners of the spectrum is becoming ridiculous.

Thank you so much tektraveler for finding this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2013 Aug 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Here is Extensis' upcoming release plan to address this issue It has been a more challenging issue than anticipated requiring extra collaboration with the Adobe Engineering teams. But we have finally moved past it and are releasing an update for all Suitcase Fusion customers.

Here is our schedule as it is unfolding:

On Monday, August 5th we will release a free update for Suitcase Fusion 5 customers (v16.0.1) that addresses this bug and other plugin related issues.

On Wednesday, August 7th we will release a free update for Suitcase Fusion 4 customers (v15.0.6) that addresses this and other plugin related issues.

Updates will be made available either through your Suitcase Fusion product directly or by downloading them from the Extensis website.

Please let me know if you have any questions of concerns about our release plan.

Cheers,

Chris

Extensis Font Management Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2013 Aug 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I forgot to include that Extensis is also planning to address this same issue in the Universal Type Server plugins as well. We are working toward that release date and will share the info as soon as I have it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2013 Aug 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chris,

Updated and running smoothly so far

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2013 Aug 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Joe Bosch for the update. Please keep us posted if you see any bizarre behavior.

For Suitcase 4 customers the fix should be available tomorrow afternoon around 1:00pm Pacific Time.

Cheers,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2013 Aug 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I am SO glad I found this thread.  We just had this problem come up within the last 2-3 weeks and it was driving us insane!!!  I thought it was an Apple problem, so I'd been perusing the forums there, then got to thinking that maybe it was just Adobe.  Found this, disabled auto-activation, and everything seems to be working like it should be!!!  Looking forward to the fix so we can have the auto-activation back, but am definitely willing to manually install fonts until then.  Thanks everyone!!!

Rachel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2013 Aug 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

what about the date for the Universal Type Server update?

cheers,

Dennis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2013 Sep 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dennis,

The UTS product team is targeting a release by the end of this month so we are getting close.

Sorry for the extraordinary delay.

Cheers,

Chris

Extensis Font Management Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2013 Nov 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Chris any more info on the UTS update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2013 Apr 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It absolutely works. Disable the Suitcase Fusion plug-in as described above - no more file saving/dialog box issues!

Thanks tektraveler

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2013 Apr 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's it in deed. Turned off Illustrator plugin in my Suitcase Fusion 4 right after reading your post and haven't had a problem since. I think it's time to talk to Extensis. Thanks a lot Tektraveler!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines