• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Start Workspace in Illustrator CC 2017 missing

Participant ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This question applies to both AI CC 2017 and Photoshop CC 2017 running on a MacPro, OS 10.12.2.

The Start Workspace in Illustrator CC 2017 is absent from Preferences and doesn't appear when the program starts. In Photoshop, the option  is available and checked in Preferences, but the workspace does not appear at start. This behavior started a week ago. InDesign CC 2017 works fine.

Anyone know what gives?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

I got it! Believe it or not, the problem seems to have been a corrupted alias in the Dock. I tossed it out, replaced it, and all is fine.

Thanks for your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot of the General tab for Preferences?

Did you try resetting Preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

general.jpeg

Yes, I tried resetting the preferences. All I got was the hassle of redefining them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, you are missing some things!

When you go into Illustrator > About (Mac), what does it say for the version?

(again, ruling out the most common first)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what mine says - 2017 release, 21.0.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got it! Believe it or not, the problem seems to have been a corrupted alias in the Dock. I tossed it out, replaced it, and all is fine.

Thanks for your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The old Dock alias may have been opening an older version.

I keep older versions, and have to create a new alias in a different part of the Dock for the new version. Usually the new version (no matter who the vendor is) is flakey until the first patch. That may have been going on here. Check your Applications folder to see if you have more than one version. Another thing I do with Adobe products is change the Interface and make one version a light gray so I don't get confused.

But regardless, I am glad it's working for you now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am confused about Dock alias. My Start Workspace has gone missing as well as the option in Preferences since updating to CC 2017... O.o

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A dock alias will open a specific program, meaning you will have one for Illustrator 2015 and another for Illustrator 2017. When you open the program, the alias appears in the Dock, and disappears when you Quit.

If you want the alias to stay, you have to force it by dragging it to a new location on the Dock or press and hold, then choose Options.

(The question mark in my screen shot is for a program I don't have any more (Muse 2015) and now that I see it, I will remove it from the Dock by dragging it off and will replace it with Muse 2017.)

If your Start Workspace is missing, the first thing to do is look in About Illustrator and tell us the version.

If 2017 is the version that is actually open, then go to Preferences > General > enable the Start Workspace

If that doesn't work, then report back with screenshots!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still a little confused and my screenshots would have looked exactly like those submitted above. I deleted a 2015 folder in my Program Files and for some reason that seemed to work. Whether that was the culprit or not, I am unsure. Thank you though for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I'm currently facing the same problem.

My Adobe illustrator is the 2017 version 21.0.0

Am I suppose to delete the all the 2015.5 folders?

Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 1.42.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 1.43.06 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thread starter solved this by deleted a corrupt Alias. An alias is not a folder. And I hope you don't keep the installers in your dock.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I did and it seemed to solve the issue. Remember, a Restart of your computer is usually a good thing to try after making changes like that. Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2017 Feb 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue but nothing seems to solve the problem.

I deleted the alias, restarted the computer but the workspace is not showing up. Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version and OS do you have, SatosMai?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My workspace has disappeared now, too, with the update to CC 2018. I have done the above -- no old alias, restarted a few times, logged in and out of Creative Cloud, and the preference is checked. My Photoshop and INDD workspaces are there after this upgrade. Only Illustrator has disappeared. Suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jan W,

Which workspace disappeared? Go to Window > Workspace and select Essentials or another Workspace. Then go back to Window > Workspace and Reset the Essentials (or other) Workspace. Does your workspace return?

Is that what you are asking?

If not, please post a screen shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 9.16.36 AM copy.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry -- I meant to add my text to the image above. I can't show you the screen I am missing, but this is the INDD startup workspace that I can see as well as photoshop. I have tried resetting it and it doesn't appear. I do have the workspace checked in preferences.Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 9.21.43 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2019 Nov 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have Hp spectre folio. When i go to dropmenu for workspace, touch workspace is missing. And i cant work without that with my pen.... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines