Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transform Each - Move limitation

Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Transform Each - Move limited to 55.5555"

Just encountered an issue I've never noticed before. I'm building a large scale repeat print (58" artboard width) and need to move objects along the borders to ensure an accurate repeat.

To achieve this, I use the Transform Each palette to duplicate and move shapes based on the artboard dimensions.

However, when trying to move an object horizontally by 58", the total rounds down to 55.5555", leaving the object in the wrong spot.

Is this a glitch unique to my file / software / machine?

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never noticed that either, but I see the same thing in v24, 23 and CS6.

It's strange that regular Transform isn't limited by anything more than pasteboard size. It appears the same limit exists for transform effects though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MexiMumbles,

An obvious feature request, remember a link to this thread and mentioning of the important addition by Doug, and remember a link here to the feature request so others can join it.

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it a feature request or a bug? I thought a feature request would be to propose new additions to the softeware, not to ask that something perform as is already should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried using the move command instead of transform Each?

The move command (Object - Transform - Move) doesn't have that limitation, (At least is bigger) and then you can use the transform again command  (Object - Transform - Transform again) to make the repetitions you need

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mario, I hadn't! Great work around!

Infact, I never use the Move tool simply because Transform Each offers all of the options from the one short cut. I never understood why the seperate Transform tools were even necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remember to convert your artwork to a Symbol before making the repetitions, this way you can edit your symbol at any time and the changes will be reflected in all instances, and the file will be easier and less heavy to handle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good tip! I've been reluctant to adopt Symbols since their inclusion. Never had much use for them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are welcome, MexiMumbles.

By the way, the limit is a nice round figure, namely 4000 pt.

"Is it a feature request or a bug?"

You may say that a bug is something unintended and unwanted by, and presumably unknown to, the creators of the application, and everyone wants a change.

A feature request is a suggested change seen as an improvement or further development of what the creators had chosen, and there may be opposing views about its desirability.

This was the case with the feature request that resulted in the reversal of the Y axis in CS5, from positive upwards like in the other comparable vector applications to positive downwards like in Photoshop and InDesign; ways of unreversing it were found and used by many, some of whom also suggested its being optional which thereby formed a new feature request to make everyone happy.

Concerning limits like the one brought up by you, in the old days the Workspace (some use the PS term canvas) was 1296 pt = 18".

Then there was a feature request that resulted in its being increased to the 14th power of 2 = 16384 pt ~ 227.555555".

And then there was a feature request of its becoming unlimited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines