Highlighted

Unable to Image Trace a PDF in Illustrator

New Here ,
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few weeks ago, I was able to place a PDF in an Illustrator file and crop it and image trace it without having a lot of clipping masks to delete. When I went to do this today I had to select the "edit contents" button in the top left so I could crop and trace and now I'm getting several layers of clipping masks to delete. Is there a way to avoid this?  It seems like this only worked for a little while because I haven't been able to place and trace before.

I know I can export the file as a png or other file type and place and trace, but being able to put the PDF directly in saves time. 

Thanks for the help

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Unable to Image Trace a PDF in Illustrator

New Here ,
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few weeks ago, I was able to place a PDF in an Illustrator file and crop it and image trace it without having a lot of clipping masks to delete. When I went to do this today I had to select the "edit contents" button in the top left so I could crop and trace and now I'm getting several layers of clipping masks to delete. Is there a way to avoid this?  It seems like this only worked for a little while because I haven't been able to place and trace before.

I know I can export the file as a png or other file type and place and trace, but being able to put the PDF directly in saves time. 

Thanks for the help

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 18, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I just checked and it works fine at my end. The only possibility I could see it saving a PDF with "Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities".  Try turning off this option while saving PDFs and see if that helps.

preserve illiustrator editing capability.png

If not, could you please share the file with us? You may upload it to Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html#file-folder) and share the download link. 

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check "Link" when placing?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2020 1
Adobe Employee ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to know if the steps suggested above worked for you, or the issue still persists. Kindly update the discussion if you still need assistance with it.

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 26, 2020 0