• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What color values are best when printing CMYK White?

Explorer ,
May 09, 2019 May 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I have a question regarding printing CMYK White.

What color values you should use for a better result?

For example:

C - 0 M - 0 Y - 0 K - 0

or

C-0 M - 0 Y - 0 K - 5

I know for example that when you have to print CMYK Black there are many other combinations like Rich Black or Warm Black and many others.

So I was wondering, is there anything like this for CMYK White?

Thank you for your time!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 09, 2019 May 09, 2019

In CMYK, 'white' means 'no ink'. So CMYK 'white' will just be whatever paper stock you are using.

If you want an actual printed white, you need a spot ink.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my experience there is no substitute for white C-0 M-0 Y-0 K-0, anything else I would define as a colour, sometimes the stock that is being printed onto isn't a bright white, that can make printing look a little off but the paper stock colour is nothing you can control with ink colours.

White is C-0 M-0 Y-0 K-0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In CMYK, 'white' means 'no ink'. So CMYK 'white' will just be whatever paper stock you are using.

If you want an actual printed white, you need a spot ink.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It slightly depends on where this white is used.

When you have an illustration and there are white spots here and there, then a 0% white will cause "holes" in the print where there is just paper. This might or might not be how you want it to look. In those cases having some small percentage of whatever color might be a good idea.

On the other hand the percentage must not be too small, otherwise it cannot be printed. Therefore often print services tell you the smallest amount of ink coverage they can print. This also needs to be considered in gradients from white to whatever color.

Which color exactly to use instead of white depends on the combinations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You alwasy want some value covering all of the sheet for a consistant look and feel across the piece. The varnish will sit diffeerntly on the raw paper that the inked parts. This is sort of a pro-tip that unless you have spent time as a pre-press op or been on a press run you would not know. If you are having something professionally printed this step may be handled, without you ever knowing, by tht pre press operator before the film is made or the difital files sent to a digi offset printer.  I always set my values to C0 M0 Y2 K2.    This only apllies to 4 color CYMK printing ...  Spot color priting is a whole other animal..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines