• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is Non-Native Art

Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2009 Jan 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working with a customer file and came across an element that when selected is identified as Non-Native Art in the left edge of the control panel. It does not show up in the links pallet. This particular one is a square with a graduated screen. It appears grayscale but the eyedropper reveals it is composed of CMYK.

I am wondering what type of elements are Non-Native? What programs created them? How do they get in Illustrator?

CS3
Mac Pro
OSX 10.5.6
7 GIG RAM

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2009 Jan 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often see this when I convert from PDF. This might be a gradient or other artwork that can be defined in PDF but is not editable in Illustrator. I even see this when I save as PDF without Illustrator Editing Capability then re-open in Illustrator. Perfectly normal gradients are now "Non-native art".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2024 May 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way we can identify  presence of Non-native art programmatically? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2024 May 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 30, 2009 Jan 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be careful with non-native art. I ran into this problem the other day (a pdf with a gradient made in InDesign that I opened in Illy) and found that the colours were not the same as in the original InDesign file. Probably colour settings were not the same in the two applications.
I solved the problem by writing down the gradient settings in the InDesign file and making a new gradient in Illy with the correct colours. I used a copy of the clipping mask shape and filled it with the new Illy gradient.
If the non-native gradient is angled you can drag the new gradient to match the tilt of the masked non-native object. Best to have the preview turned off while you do this, then you can see the masked object and snap the gradient to its corners.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines