• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What the key equivalent to ~ in UK keyboard

Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2009 Dec 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A friend is unable to find the equivalent of the tilde key (~) on his UK keyboard to transform patterns but not objects when using a transform tool by holding down the tilde key (~) while dragging. Does this capabilities is available for UK?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

This is the button which I use for tildas (it has these symbols \ /😞WIN_20181204_18_15_56_Pro_LI.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it depends exactly what keyboard he is using.

On my Mac keyboard (UK English) the tilde ~ is on the key to the left of the letter 'Z'.

But you need to use 'Shift' with it to get the character to appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, but how can you use it to transform the pattern only on a selected object? Or which key are you holding down to accomplish that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works for me by using the tilde key on the pattern itself.

Or

Is  your friend using the "Transform" menu at the top of the screen?

Object > Transform > Scale > ....has he then ticked "Patterns" and not "Objects"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2013 Mar 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got the same prob did you find out how to do this on a uk keyboard???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Red,

It should be over by the Enter key, with the #.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_keyboard#United_Kingdom

Ultimately, the general way of finding out how to get it to work on whichever keyboard you have is to try all keys with/without shift (and AltGr), and remember or write it down.

With so many languages/countries and Win/Mac there are so many (im)possibilities, and no one has ever made any list of just a few.

I remember that the German keyboards use the < like the Icelandic, as Monika should be able to confirm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2013 Apr 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob

You are right it is the # next to the enter but the problem is that you have to use the shift key with it and illustrator use the shift key to do other things and i cant find anywhere in the setting to change the ~ to a diffent key in illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2013 Apr 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Red,

But does it work (or how about the key to the left of Z)?

Someone else will have to help you with the reassignment of keys.

Someone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Icelandic Mac keyboard doesn’t have a tilde-key.

But I use the <-key (to the left of Z) to manually manipulate patterns.

Use it in conjunction with Scale and Rotate tools as well as just on its own for dragging patterns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2013 May 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In CS6, it's the apostrophe key, below the @ symbol ( ' )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use @

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to get the tilde (squiggly or twiddle) character on a UK QWERTY keyboard by using a combination of SHIFT + Back Slash (above Enter) keys.

See attached screenshot below:
Tilde.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you read the OP, you'll see that the question was not how to type a tilde; rather it's what key to press to transform a pattern without transforming its enclosing path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is the button which I use for tildas (it has these symbols \ /😞WIN_20181204_18_15_56_Pro_LI.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines