When applying gradients to text, it turns it black

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When applying color to my type, color works just fine in the appearance panel however, when I go to add a gradient, it turns my text black. I also tried using the bottom panel, as seen in the photo and it still does the same thing. 

Please help 😞

Thank you

Gradient_Font.png

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to, Tools, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

2 Correct Answers

Most Valuable Participant , Feb 03, 2020
pixxxelschubser Most Valuable Participant , Feb 03, 2020
To do: set the Fill in Appearance Panel to [None] double click on [Type] in Appearance Panel add a new Fill (Options in Appearance Panel in the top right corner) set your gradient to that Fill

Translate

Translate
Jump to answer Jump to answer
Adobe Community Professional , Feb 03, 2020
Ton Frederiks Adobe Community Professional , Feb 03, 2020
Don't select your text with the Type tool. Use the Selection arrow to select the text object. In the Appearance panel, add a new fill and change that fill to a gradient.

Translate

Translate
Jump to answer Jump to answer
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't select your text with the Type tool.

Use the Selection arrow to select the text object.

In the Appearance panel, add a new fill and change that fill to a gradient.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, I just tried this and it didnt work - had the same issue where the text turned black whenever I tried to select a gradient in the Appearance panel. So in case it doesn't work for anyone else, my solve was putting my black text over a box of the gradient I want, and I just it ctrl+7 to mask it. Worked like a charm.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To do:

1. set the Fill in Appearance Panel to [None]
  2. double click on [Type] in Appearance Panel
  3. add a new Fill (Options in Appearance Panel in the top right corner)
  4. set your gradient to that Fill

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Type in Illustrator can not have a gradient unless you go to an outline. You can also just use a clipping path to apply the gradient. InDesign has less complex gradients so it can have gradient on type.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Type in Illustrator can not have a gradient unless you go to an outline.

Not true. See the solutions above.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Katie_Houghton

Read my posting again.

😉

without any outline:

type_gradient.png

@Ton It's really better to remove the default black Fill from the characters before applying the gradient to the type. That is the clean solution. Otherwise you will get a tiny "shadow stroke" around the characters.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are absolutely correct, remove the fill from the characters and only apply it to the type object.

Otherwise you can get the top result when applying a transparent gradient.

Screenshot 2020-02-03 at 23.06.59.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines