Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

white background appearing on export

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

working on some seps for print production (shirts)

Imported a photoshop file with a transparent background into illustrator, 

on exporting to a .PS using adobe9.ppd (only way to get the colour seps) illustrator is adding a white back to the area of the photoshop doc (rest is transparent) - dosent matter if its seps or composite - the white back is appearing in the pdfs when imported into photoshop etc. 

any ideas?

TOPICS
Draw and design , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When printing PostScript files, you can't have transparency.

So this approach won't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it did before - which is why im confused. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator should be able to separate the file correctly.

Did you link or embed the Photoshop file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

both - same result 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did a test after I replied, embedding or linking should not make a difference.

But I cannot replicate the white background when creating separations using the Print dialog and a PostScript file as destination.

Can you share an example Illustrator file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do i upload a ilustrator file here? 

attached image showing one of the sep screens following distiller - white area is the shape of the PSD file in the illustrator page.  size is the artboard. Screenshot 2020-10-05 at 14.20.20.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can share files with sharing from the CCfiles folder, DropBox. Google, WeTransfer...

But I was thinking that the white from your PSD was blocking other areas, this looks like the document size.

Did you correctly set your artboard size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes the transparent area on the image is the artboard size. (crosshairs are for screen alignment in production) 

the white is the area of the photoshop file - which isnt there on the file OR if saved as a pdf - (but i cant export seps this way) the white appears if its done as sep or composite. 

as an experiment i put a pink box behind a portion of the artwork and exported the ps file. pink there perfect in the transparancy...... white still there on the export. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But white does not print...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines