• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why Adobe is not interested in Ubuntu/Linux?

Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know Adobe is not interetested in Ubuntu.

But why?

I am a long time windows user and really wants to move to Ubuntu for it's performance.

But without Adobe Illustrator I can't live a single day.

Why Adobe is simply not relasing their software on Ubuntu?

Edit:

(Adobe employee, please provide a clear answer why this is happening and when will it end)

(Sorry for using "shady" word as they are the main pillars of community)

TOPICS
Feature request , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Hi

As a former employee, I can vouch for all of my colleagues past and present insomuch as they don't make "shady" comments.

It's great that you love Illustrator and also that you're keen on Ubuntu—completely understand why, too. The most likely reason for there being no Ubuntu offering or support is that the numbers probably don't make it worthwhile. There simply aren't enough people wanting to use the platform to make it commercially viable—you'd need more engineers, more quality assurance

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"(Don't want any shady comment from Adobe employee)"

Who do you want comment from? What would a 'shady' comment be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From anyone.

Something that is not clean answer, as I have seen many of the threads related to Ubuntu/Linux.

Thanks for your comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have deleted the scentance. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my opinion the only insightful input that can be given in this matter is by Adobe employees, as they are ultimately the ones who are the decision makers and implementation agents for this case. Now since you seem to be untrustfull of their comments i am not very hopeful that this thread will lead to anything more than just guesswork.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I have deleted the scentence as Adobe employers are the main who helps the community most.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

As a former employee, I can vouch for all of my colleagues past and present insomuch as they don't make "shady" comments.

It's great that you love Illustrator and also that you're keen on Ubuntu—completely understand why, too. The most likely reason for there being no Ubuntu offering or support is that the numbers probably don't make it worthwhile. There simply aren't enough people wanting to use the platform to make it commercially viable—you'd need more engineers, more quality assurance, more support, etc. and all of that costs money—a lot of money.

Please pardon me for this, but people often forget that Adobe is a business, and they are duty-bound to make sensible business decisions with the revenue the company generates and the investnents made in it. That is also part of the problem with getting a response from active staff beyond something like "that is not our focus at the current time" which I'm hazarding a guess at meets your definition of "shady". 

You'd probably find enthusiastic Ubuntu users in the Adobe workforce (using it for other tasks or personal projects) who would love to see Illustrator on the platform but also know that at the moment it's not likely to happen—at least until they are joined by tens of thousands of other users demanding the same thing.

Hope that helps you to understand, and who knows, one day that could happen—but it's in the Ubuntu community that you need to be recruiting support, maybe.

🙂

p.s.

You could always try asking the team directly by creating a request on uservoice: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-feature-requests

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your comprehensive reply. It helps me imagine the whole sinario, as I have to stick to Windows untill something happens.

Hope Ubuntu/Linux community grows so that Adobe can take the action to create application for the platfrom.

Best of luck Adobe ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you think that current Adobe Illustrator would perform better in Ubuntu (Linux, Zorin,...) that it does now in Windows 10, or Mac OSX ?

How much? 

Can you at least, name any other software available for Ubuntu, Windows 10 or OSX that performs beter in Ubuntu? By which margin?

I am (skeptically) eager to know about that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Federico,

I believe that torath simply wishes to be able to use (one) Ubuntu (computer) for everything, and already does for everything else (important).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont' know. An Adobe engeener can tell more about this.

and Adobe Illustrator is also not runniing smothly on my windows either. 

Thanks for your coment. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tony,

I enjoyed and learnt a lot from your Lynda.com  CSS for EPUB course. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Federico!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, sorry for my English (I had to use the google translator).

Look, I understand, but you already thought that the Linux community and its distributions is growing more and more.

Many users still use Windows because of the software that companies do not want / support Linux, and one of the main companies is Adobe.

If Adobe did a search to understand why Linux users still use a dual boot on their machines, you can see that the first answer would be for the Games and the 2nd most would be Adobe software.

Adobe also has to see this issue, users do not grow a system because companies do not even make alpha / beta / test software for this audience.

If the company made available a beta version (MAY BE ANY OLD VERSION OR NOT) with Linux support you will see that the community will help the company in such a way as to increase its capital so much as there will be an audience that will buy Adobe products, it now has a native version for the system.

Myself, I only use Windows because of only 2 Adobe products, otherwise I would be using Ubuntu for life.

But unfortunately this dream of one day seeing Adobe products at least the illustrator with support for Linux will possibly never be realized.

And from that small developers are trying to create the tools that compare to Adobe products, if 5 to 10 people developers can maintain a stable native product for Linux with help from the community, imagine if a large company invested a little in that, even if whether to help these developers create a version of some native adobe product for linux.

This is my point of view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree with you. I would have use Linux for lifetime, but for few Adobe softwares I have to stick with Windows.

Initial testing would be good for Adobe to check people's interest. 

Hope they will understand this matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post this on Uservoice and see how many people will support it:

http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Otherwise you'll never know.

You might want to search on that platform how many supporters there have been for several not yet implemented features - hundreds and hundreds. So that will be your benchmark for something that is even more expensive than implementing functions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to web traffic Linux users is way under 5% of total.

It could grow if Adobe, and others migrate apps to Linux, maybe. But I think that most Linux users are far from design oriented, more likely are and will be programmers, web or network users...

The majority of users that load Illustrator from a Windows or OSX machine do not know or give a damn (myself included) about how the operating system performs or changes over time. They use tools Photoshop or Illustrator for their work or joy.

I do not negate that would be interesting to see, those communities include many active users that may push hard for software improvements. Illustrator as such is already a mature (old?) software, the task of porting it would be complex and very expensive. a New application like those being develop by Adobe for iPad, could be better candidates and get a big development on computrs with a CPU and RAM more powerful of what we have on those portable devices..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

macOS X is on a kind off Linux version so I think it's not so difficult to port it to Linux. I'm also waiting for the moment Adobe software will be available for Linux. I see more and more people switching to Linux and Ungoogled Android phones like Fairphone with /e/ os to take control over there own data. Big companies have to follow or will be cut off from the new trend to have more privacy and control on your digital life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't know why Adobe doesn't support Linux
It will win every Linux user using software equivalent to theirs
The number of Linux users is increasing and this is a reality. Adobe did not work to plant its roots from the beginning in the Linux community. After several years, it will find itself that every similar program to its programs will have users and a supportive audience because most of the Linux programs are free. If the users of free Linux programs are accustomed, they will be in need of Adobe programs, and you will find that Linux programs are growing day by day. So it is in Adobe's interest to work on making a version for Linux. Strange that they exist depends on their customers. Why don't they meet customers' requests?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I  am old enough to have demonstrated in the early '90s, versions of Illustrator on NexT, Silicon Graphics, and Sun Solaris. All of them have been discontinued, they just did not sell enough to justify the effort of developing, support and marketing.

I am sure that, if Adobe sees a market for a Linux version, they will develop one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yes, I used Illustrator on Silicon Graphics incredible OS and computers. Not a lot time later, I got the same practical experience, performance, from a intel Pentium machine I could afford, under Windows 95.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines