• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will a Gaming laptop be ok for using the Adobe suite?

Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ho, ho, ho! Merry new laptop time!
I want to know if this is good for using Adobe products.
It is the inside of the laptop I just bought. Now that I have a few hours to myself I decided to look the chip up online and ppl are saying that there is something better.
I mainly use Adobe Illustrator, Animation & Indesign. I will eventually need to utilize Premiere for school.
I need to know because I still have time to cancel this order.

Here are the specs. It's a Legion 7i.

Battery4Cell 80Wh Internal 
Camera720P HD 2.8mm Camera No Mic 
ChipsetHM470 
ColorSlate Grey 
Country/RegionUSA 
DIMM Memory32GB(16+16) DDR4 2933 SoDIMM 
Display15.6FHD AG 300N 144 N SRGB 
Fingerprint ReaderNo Fingerprint Reader 
GraphicsRTX2070 8GB G6 256b MAXQ 
KeyboardBKLT RGB KB SLA GY USA ENG 
Legion715IMH05 Other1None 
Legion715IMH05 Other2None 
Legion715IMH05 Other3None 
Legion715IMH05 Other4None 
Legion715IMH05 Other5None 
Legion715IMH05 Other6None 
Marketing NameLenovo Legion 7 15IMH05 
MicrophoneArray MIC 
Microsoft OfficeOffice H&B 2019 AFOLB 
Optane MemoryNone 
OS DPKW10 Home Adv STD 
PalmrestAL 
Power Adapter230W Slim 3Pin BK US 
Preload LanguageW10 H64-ENG 
Preload OSWindows 10 Home 64 
ProcessorCore i7-10750H 2.6G 6C MB 
PublicationPUB WW ENG 
Second Storage SelectionNone 
Security SoftwareNone 
SpecialcharNone 
Storage Selection1TB SSD M.2 2280 NVMe TLC 
Surface TreatmentAnodizing Sandblasting 
WarrantyN01 1Y Courier/Carryin 
NBWEBPUBLISHYES 
Wireless LANWLAN 2x2AX+BT

The opinions seem to be conflicting.
Some say it's too much power, some say it will be slow. But with 6 cores I don't understand how.

Any advice is good.

Thank you for your time.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Aha! The GPU is listed, just written in an usual way as "RTX2070 8GB G6 256b MAXQ". This leaves out the brand and type but it is "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Max-Q". This is a respectable graphics card. It has a "GPU Benchmark" score of 5400, well over the 2000 recommended as a minimum for Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's never too much power, though a very powerful computer may get hot and have noisy fans. This is a nice machine, but pros may spend five times as much on a machine for serious video work. But if you are learning, rather than making a living from, creative products, your needs are different.  But is it a good machine? It depends what for, and it's much more complicated than "6 cores must go fast". For example, many apps will use only one core at a time, so the speed of single cores is more important than the number of cores. Other activities, especially video and photo related, may use all cores, the more the better. Video rendering can still take hours or days! My main concern, though, is the video card (also called GPU). Many apps use the video card now, and for some, a powerful card is a must - some functions just won't work. The video card alone can cost $1000 or much more. Your PC spec is ominously silent on what video card. For example here is the Photoshop FAQ about video card https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha! The GPU is listed, just written in an usual way as "RTX2070 8GB G6 256b MAXQ". This leaves out the brand and type but it is "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Max-Q". This is a respectable graphics card. It has a "GPU Benchmark" score of 5400, well over the 2000 recommended as a minimum for Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines