• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Y coordinate incorrect for grouped objects

Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I have a group of two objects, a circle and a smaller cross within the circle. When I try to find the Y coordinate of the group, Illustrator is actually showing the Y coordinate of an element within the group (the cross), not the Y coordinate of the group itself. However, the X coordinate is showing correctly. I am using the selection tool to select the group, not the direct selection tool, and the guides are locked and not part of the group. Can anyone shed any light on why the Y coordinate is not that of the group?

Thanks in advance

J

Screenshot 2021-01-27 at 11.25.46.png

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

To me, it appears to be some kind of corruption of the circle that prevents the Transform palette from getting and displaying the correct coordinates.

If you select the group (or direct select just the circle) and open the Info palette (Window menu > Info), you get the correct coordinates.

If you direct select the circle shape and convert it into a plain path object (Object menu > Shape > Convert Shape), the issue goes away as well.

I cannot tell you the technical reason that causes the co

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share this Illustrator file (.ai)?

Which version of Illustrator are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kurt. You can download the file here. I'm using the latest version of Illustrator 25.1, and Mac OS 11.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JK,

It seems that you have got hold of the secret new enhanced beta version CC/CC (Creative Coalition/Compromise Cloud: with a group of two, one gets to decide the X value and the other gets to decide the Y value.

Sorry, it was stronger than I.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To me, it appears to be some kind of corruption of the circle that prevents the Transform palette from getting and displaying the correct coordinates.

If you select the group (or direct select just the circle) and open the Info palette (Window menu > Info), you get the correct coordinates.

If you direct select the circle shape and convert it into a plain path object (Object menu > Shape > Convert Shape), the issue goes away as well.

I cannot tell you the technical reason that causes the corruption, but sometimes it just happens for whatever reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks for looking into it Kurt. Just some sort of strange anomaly I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One thing I can imagine is that the group was originally created in an older Illustrator version when the application used the traditional Cartesian coordinate system and not the reversed one that is used nowadays.

Perhaps the corruption happened during some abortive transmission to a recent version of Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines