• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

%0D being added to all URL's

Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2019 Feb 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have a problem that I can't find the anwser to, so I'm hoping that you can help.

I'm making a new manual at work, and I have about 600 URL's that I've transfered over from excel.

When I export the file to PDF (Interactive) it auto adds %0d to my URL's so insted of sending the user to: https://www.mysite.eu/the_file.pdf the URL will say http://www.mysite.eu/the_file.pdf%0D

If I then go and delete the %0D from the browser line, the URL workes just fine.

So my question is, how do I get rid of the %0D when exporting to pdf ??

Here is a list of things that I've tried already:

- Export with "Shared destination" checked

- Export with "Shared destination" un-checked

- Checking in excel that the URL don't have any line breaks

- Checking in excel that the URL don't have "carriage return"

- Copying the URL to notepad, and from there to InDesign

- Typing the URL in InDesign manual

Nothing of this has worked for my.. Please help if you can.. The manual will be send out to our customers world wide, so it needs to work..

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

Try to place the Excel file into InDesign instead of pasting it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are moving this info from Excel to ID? What version of ID? What version of Excel? What operating system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using:

Windows 10 (64 bit)

InDesign CC version 14.0.1 x64

Excel 2013

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You still didn’t tell us how you’re moving from Excel to InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh sorry..

I'm just using simple copy paste.

Marking the text in excel and then using "Ctrl+C" to copy, and then inserting it in InDesign using the "Insert new hyperlink" function.

I don't know if it makes a diffrence, but I'm inserting my hyperlink on an image insted of a text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to place the Excel file into InDesign instead of pasting it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be me not being totaly clear about what it is I'm after, but the excel file will not be included in what I'm doing, it's only the means in wich I've gotten the URL's from our marketing department, so I just need to get the links out of excel and into InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, place the file. Then copy paste the URLs to where you need them in InDesign.

See if that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not know that you have the posibility to import excel files into inDesign by placing them like an image !!

That's for the help. It's working 100%

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Bob

I've been looking for a solution for the same problem and found only this discussion over the web.

Unfortunately, the solution written here doesn't work for me.

I'm placing a docx file and upon exporting the links been added with %0D.

What could it be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi InbalZissu,

I think this is a very old issue.

See into this thread from 2012 to test the scripting solution ( ExtendScript/JavaScript )

https://community.adobe.com/t5/InDesign/CS6-hyperlink-problem/m-p/4218626#M14486

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply, but it's not old at all.

This discussion is from Feb this year.

I didn't find an answer in the link you've sent me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi InbalZissu,

well, you are right. The issue discussed in this thread is: Something, %0D is added to a URL hyperlink destination.

We could try a scripting solution similar to the one in the other thread I linked to.

I'd like to write a script that is doing this: Remove the extra %0D off the end of the URL if this %0D is already visible in the URL of the hyperlink in InDesign. At least I can test if something, a special character perhaps, is added at the end and when exported to PDF transfers to %0D in the link. Can you provide a sample InDesign document for testing some script code? Together with the exported PDF?

Upload the documents zipped to Dropbox or a similar service and provide the download link.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

When I look at the links in the indesign file I don't see that addition, but here are the files:

INDD: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J9sucLAinWpq3k1KTtvNXnnSTJUVF040/view?usp=sharing

PDF: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JMLNKQJc8-8HaASAVomFsSx9BzyWGDvP/view?usp=sharing

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. I have no Google Account and I'm not willing to add one.

So I cannot download your files.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, try this one:

https://we.tl/t-U4AdbZjEOZ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi InbalZissu,

it's hard for me to check your Hebrew document, but as far as I can see there is no issue with the hyperlinks of your buttons in this document. Exported a PDF (Interactive) with my German version of InDesign CC 2019. All buttons are working, means if the are clicked they will lead me to a web page. If they are working as expected I cannot tell, because I cannot read or understand any Hebrew.

Below an example from page 15 with Button 60.

In the layout:

Button60-InDesign-Layout.png

Web page opened with Firefox on Windows 10 from my exported PDF opened in my German Adobe Reader:

Button60-PDF-WebPage.png

The same page will be addressed if I open your PDF and click the same button.

FWIW: I cannot see any %0d characters added to the URLs as the original poster of this thread has seen.

So: What exact issue do you have with that document?

Maybe a bug with the Hebrew version of Adobe Reader?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for taking the time of looking into this.

I can not see the web address of the screenshot you've sent, you said there's no %0D added but - the page shows an error. "There's no page".

Have you tried couple of links? none of them adds %0D at the end?

Maybe it's a problem in the middle eastern version then, but still, you've got an error too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi InbalZissu,

ok, then we have an issue.

I've seen into this again.

If I copy the URL of button 60 to a text frame, copy the contents to my browser I get this web page:

Button60-REAL-TARGET.PNG

If I then assign the contents of this text frame as URL to a button's target and export as Adobe PDF Interactive I can see the same URL in Acrobat Pro with a different notation of the individual Hebrew glyphs, their corresponding Unicode codes:

Burron-URL-From-AcrobatPro.PNG

As far as I can tell there is no glyph added.

The last one in the URL is <05EA> that corresponds with InDesign's contents of the text frame above the button:

Burron-URL-From-InDesign.PNG

However if I click the button with my Adobe Reader the following web page will open:

ButtonPressedWithAdobeReader-WRONG-TARGET.png

So I conclude this is a different issue that we are seeing here.

My German InDesign will export the Hebrew glyphs as Unicode codes and my browser is not able to translate them back to Hebrew glyphs like my copy/paste action is doing this OK when coming from the contents of my text frame.

No extra code is added, but the result is far from working.

I have no idea what to do to get this right.

Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

EDITED: Fixed a typo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I said: "I have no idea what to do to get this right".

This is meant in the context of InDesign.

With Acrobat Pro I could copy the URL to the button to maintain the Hebrew glyphs:

ChangeTheURLwithAcrobatPro.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi InbalZissu,

I suggest that you are doing a bug report on InDesign's behavior of exporting the URL with buttons:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi InbalZissu,

finally I found a solution to your problem.

EDIT: I was too optimistic! This issue is still NOT sorted. Sorry.

You have to encode the Hebrew glyphs in a different way.

One example where we leave that part of the URL anlone:

https://www.kolzchut.org.il/he/

But the encoding of the rest of the URL is this:

%D7%A0%D7%A7%D7%95%D7%93%D7%95%D7%AA_%D7%96%D7%99%D7%9B%D7%95%D7%99_%D7%9E%D7%9E%D7%A1_%D7%94%D7%9B%D7%A0%D7%A1%D7%94_%D7%91%D7%A2%D7%93_%D7%99%D7%9C%D7%93_%D7%90%D7%95_%D7%91%D7%95%D7%92%D7%A8_%D7%A2%D7%9D_%D7%9E%D7%95%D7%92%D7%91%D7%9C%D7%95%D7%AA

Can be done on the web for example here:

https://www.webatic.com/url-convertor

Encode-Decode-URL.PNG

The combined string is now copied as URL to the button in InDesign.

Adobe PDF (interactive) export will generate a URL that is working with Adobe Reader.

I had no luck when encoding the whole URL.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi InbalZissu,

FWIW: If I do publish your document with InDesign's Publish Online feature the URL links of the buttons that contain the Hebrew parts at the end of the link are working as expected. So I really think we have a bug with Export to PDF Interactive and buttons with gotoURLBehaviors.

However, with Publish Online the QR codes are done very lowres. To correct this you may consider using InDesign 2020 and place the QR codes as SVG vector graphics. Placing SVG graphics done with e.g. Adobe Illustrator is a new feature with InDesign 2020 and the SVG vector images should remain as vector graphics in the Publish Online HTML code. Did not test that yet.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so there's a bug that needs to be fixed.

I have no intention of looking for by-pass solutions.

By the way, the QR codes are made with INDD feature, it's really sad to see that this awesome software is full of bugs.

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi InbalZissu,

by help of some scripting I read out all URL addresses of all buttons of your document with gotoURLBehaviors.

It's a very mixed list of addresses already in the document. Some encoded with Unicode like in this notation <0000>, some are not valid, some are OK, some seem to be OK, but do not work. So I'm really not sure anymore what's working and why are some failing.

Did you apply all the URLs with copy/paste from a list?

To do a bug report you should single out some of them that are OK with InDesign, looking OK at first glance with Acrobat but still do not work as intended. I'm not exactly sure why. Copy/paste errors? URL of a web page changed? No idea.

That's the hard stuff you have to check first. Time consuming for 99 buttons.

But how would you like to proceed?

Best test and change the URLs in the exported PDF you like to deliver.

FWIW: I still think, that the title of this thread:

%0D being added to all URL's

does NOT apply to the issues you are seeing.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines