Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A3 Landscape in an A4 Portrait document

Engaged ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there.

I have a document set up, A4 facing pages. I want to add an A3 page in landscape (essentially 2 A4 stuck together) so that when exported as PDF this page has no line down the middle. 

I can do it to an extent however in the resultant PDF I Have the A3 landscape, but the next A4 page tacked onto to the right.

I though therefore I would set the document to not facing pages and sure enough in the pages panel everything looks great A4s next to each other and the A3 aligned. But again when exported it tacks the next A4 page to it.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this/

Cheers

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like what you're trying to do is unnecessary.

When you export to PDF, there's an option there in the Export dialog box called "Export as Spreads". This will create a PDF with facing pages presented as a single page (so, a landscape A3) without a line down the middle.

Is that not what you want?

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, okay, now it seems to me that what you're trying to do is actually to add a single A3 in the middle of a document set up as facing A4 pages. Not sure about that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats right, I am aware of spreads thats not what I am after.

I am thinking I will just add them in with Acrobat because indesign is not helping me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or except I cannot have facing pages on this document

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @garethirwin1234 , You can use the Pages tool to resize one of the A4 pages to A3, and then the initial arrangement of the pages in Acrobat would depend on your Export>General>Viewing>Layout selection. Here I’ve transformed page 3 and 4 to 16.5" x 11.7" and Exported with the Layout set to Two-up Continuous (Cover Page):

Screen Shot 21.png

Screen Shot 20.png

Is this for printing a gatefold?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there not its for a digital addition. I prefer to see a line down the middle for the pages so two up does that rather than exporting as spreads)

The way you have it there I do not want, it shoul dbe two facing A4 pages then A3 landscape underneat then back onto 2 A4 pages facing.

I gave up in the end, I think it blew Indesign's tiny brain. So I just put a black line down the middle of the spread then exported as Spreads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way you have it there I do not want, it shoul dbe two facing A4 pages then A3 landscape underneat then back onto 2 A4 pages facing.

Screen Shot 8.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also, you can setup a non facing page document with 2 page spreads, in that case the custom A3 page will be centered because there is no spine:

Screen Shot 12.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines