• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Arabic font not displaying as Arabic in latest version on inDesign?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to design a flyer in Arabic and I can't get any of the Arabic fonts to display in inDesign. Adobe Arabic appears as English in both the font list and in my document (even though it looks like Arabic on the Adobe's font page where I activated it). Other fonts like Beruit look like Arabic in my font list dialog box but appear as pink squares (missing fonts) in my document. I have used Arabic before on my iMac. I am running v16.1 of inDesign and v10.15.7 of Mac OS Catalina. Any ideas? I have installed an Arabic as a language on my keyboard but that didn't do anything. I have a word doc with Arabic text that the client supplied, which shows up correctly in Word but I can't do anything with it in inDesign. I have a client who is willing to help me type in the text (not my preference). I am hoping to copy and paste the Arabic content from Word into inDesign and then format it. Any ideas why I can't get any Arabic fonts to display within inDesign? I can't find any language preferences in Creative Cloud (which a google search said required activation). Thanks in advance for any help.

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Sorry. Me again. I realized once I selected the text block (with the missing font) in inDesign and then changed it to Adobe Arabic, it actually worked. I then had to select Adobe World Ready pargraph composer to get it to read correctly. So Adobe Arabic does show up once I cut and paste Arabic from another document but not if I try and type it or convert English. This solves my immediate problem. I did think I should be able to type in Arabic once activating Arabic language on my keyboard but on

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have other documents where Arabic text works? Do any of them use the same fonts that aren’t working for you now? What happens if you copy Arabic text from a working document (if you have one) into the problem document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't work in any inDesign documents I currently have or a new document. I can't fine Adobe Arabic in the list of Word fonts when I am in a Word document but if I select any fonts that are not English in the list in Word they do not actually change my font and a pink scribble line appears underneath. I haven't tried in Illustator or Photoshop but I doubt it will work. I really only care about getting the Arabic text to work within inDesign as that is the program I need to use to create the flyer for the client.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did try and copy text from my client supplied Word doc (with Arabic text) into my inDesign file and it just appears as pink squares with xxx through it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. Me again. I realized once I selected the text block (with the missing font) in inDesign and then changed it to Adobe Arabic, it actually worked. I then had to select Adobe World Ready pargraph composer to get it to read correctly. So Adobe Arabic does show up once I cut and paste Arabic from another document but not if I try and type it or convert English. This solves my immediate problem. I did think I should be able to type in Arabic once activating Arabic language on my keyboard but one thing at a time. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good that you figured out the solution.

I would recommend that in your InDesign you go to the menu File > Place to bring the Arabic text into InDesign this way instead of Copy/Paste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines