• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Advice on line breaks

New Here ,
May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, this is my first question on the forum and I'm still fairly inexperienced with indesign.

As you can see from the image, I am trying to create an index of titles. I am using the tab setting to create dotted lines to the corresponding page number. (Ignore the heavy handed drop cap).

Capture.PNG

My question is how do I create an automated line break at the red marker for text only and make sure that the numbers remain aligned to the right of the text box? I have tried searching for the answer but I'm not sure of what the right terminology for this kind of setting is.

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

The trick is to apply a right-indent to the paragraph (you're using paragraph styles, I hope, so do it in the paragraph style definition).

And then, you'll notice that InDesign has a "last-line" indent option. Set the last line indent to the opposite of your right indent.

For example, if you set your right indent to 40pt, set the last line indent to -40 points.

Since the page numbers are always on the last line, this effectively means that everything will be pushed away from the right margin except

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The trick is to apply a right-indent to the paragraph (you're using paragraph styles, I hope, so do it in the paragraph style definition).

And then, you'll notice that InDesign has a "last-line" indent option. Set the last line indent to the opposite of your right indent.

For example, if you set your right indent to 40pt, set the last line indent to -40 points.

Since the page numbers are always on the last line, this effectively means that everything will be pushed away from the right margin except the page numbers on the last line.

By the way, setting tabs for this sort of thing is a little fiddly. InDesign has a character called a "right-indent tab" which pushes all text off to the right margin. It's much easier than setting tabs -- just press Shift+Tab to insert one. I use it all the time.

HTH,

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately that only works for two or more lines. If you have a single line, followed by a right tab or shift+tab and then the page number, that "last line indent" will not be honored (because it is the last line).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you mean. The system works fine whether the paragraph in question has one line or more than one. In every case, the shift+tab will push the number to the right. The right indent will push it back leftwards, and finally the negative last line indent will move it to the right again where it needs to be.

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ariel,

Not really and I confirm what Theunis wrote! …

Capture d’écran 2018-05-30 à 23.55.28.png

Best,

Michel, from FRIdNGE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michel,

The case you show has to be fixed by adding an em-space or two after the word "et" in your example to force it to wrap to the next line.

HTH,

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 31, 2018 May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ariel,

Still not if tab leaders! …

Best,

Michel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked, thank you, it all looks a lot neater!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines