• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

All text variables replaced by "ss" text In InDesign 2020 (15.1)- Fixed in 15.1.1

Participant ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a document with about 350 pages. I numbered the pages fine. I finished working and closed InDesign. In CC InDesign made some updates. Now when I insert "current page number", InDesign types in the letters "SS" which are not appropriate for my A Master. What's going on?

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Hi all,

Sorry about the trouble this issue has caused. We've fixed this in the latest release. Please update InDesign to v15.1.1 to get this fixed.

Here's a link with more details: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/40675342-id-2020-15-1-all-text-variables-including-page

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 100 Replies 100
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ElishevaH,

this is a known bug with InDesign 15.1.0.25.

All text variables, also Current Page Number, show "ss" in every instance.

Caused by the following paragraph composers:

Adobe World-Ready Single-line Composer
Adobe World-Ready Composer

Currently the only known workaround is to use one of the following paragraph composers:

Adobe Single-line Composer
Adobe Paragraph Composer
Adobe Japanese Single-line Composer
Adobe Japanese Paragraph Compose

If you do text composition with Hebrew or Arabic then this is no option at all.

In that case revert back to InDesign 15.0.3 until the issue is fixed.

Vote for fixing the bug here:

ID 2020 15.1 - All text variables (including page numbers) replaced by "ss" text

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180/suggestions/40675342

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use text vraiables (form paragraph style) in a document and they worked correctly.

I  think thay I have an update (I have the release 15.1 x64 actually) and text variables does not work. The text "ss" is displayed in palce of the real value of the paragraph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a big mistake with text variables. When I create a new document with text varuable, thst works correctly.

When I open an existing dociment then text variables does not work ! It display "ss" when I insert the variable in place of the variable name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Please can you share a sample document with which you are seeing tthe issue?

Thanks

amaarora@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Those who are facing the issue, can you confirm if the composer you are using is World ready composer?

To check the same:

• Select the text range that has the text variable
  • Go to paragraph panel
  • In the panel menu check for the composer

Picture1.png

Thank

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To know the updates on the issue, you can vote on the Uservoice bug: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180/suggestions/40675342

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I choose World ready composer the bug appears. If I choose an other composer, it's OK.

The solution is to change the composer.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gérard,

thank you for reporting this. Just tested with all six available paragraph composers.

I can confirm the bug. With documents created in CC 2019 and opened with 15.1.0.25 as well with documents created with 15.1.0.25.

Here a sample from my German InDesign CC 2019. You see page 156 with a table where I used the Current Page Name variable in column 1 formatted with all available paragraph composers. One composer per table row.

Column 2: Special strings for scripting

Column 3: German composer names

Column 4: English composer names

ComposersWithTextVar-AutoPageNumber-14.0.3.433.PNG

Opened with InDesign 2020 version 15.1..0.25:

ComposersWithTextVar-AutoPageNumber-15.1.0.25.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a known issue. Countless threads already.

Look around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if anyone else has seen this, but after the update today (16 July) InDesign 15.1 suddenly has all "current page number" markers put the letters "ss" instead of the page numbers. This is on master pages as well as if you put the marker on the page in a text frame itself. It's very strange, because this happens when opening any document, and in the previous version of InDesign, the page number appeared there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known issue with the World Ready Paragraph composer. AFAIK, there's no workaround beyond switching to the standard paragraph or line composer and Adobe is aware of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can read and reply on this issue at the InDesign User Voice website:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/40675342-id-2020-15-1-a...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all so much! I've gone back to the previous version of InDesign (15.0.3) so that I can get work done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i just upgraded my indesign after watching Terry Whites live - now my variables are broken - even page numbers show up as 'ss'

{Renamed by MOD}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Known issue. Several threads on this already.

Please look around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded this afternoon to 15.1. It came out today. Everything i see when searching is years old. Can you give me a better clue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. This issue has been reported by a few other users as well. Please upvote this issue here (https://bit.ly/3d5xer9) and select Adobe Paragraph Composer instead of Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer(https://adobe.ly/3hCCSEH). Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - can anybody help?

Footnotes after latest update in Adobe Indesign appear in body text as well as in footnote box as

SS

Any solution?

thank you

Yoram

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 16.17.24.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you update today to v 15.1? If so, I recommend rolling back to 15.0.3 for now. Use the CC Desktop app to reinstall 15.0.3 and if you need help, just ask us here. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell me how do i rollback to the previous version. i do not see any option in my CC app.

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barb. Did revert to 15.0.3... whao, that was a mess.

i guess i will stick with this version now.:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi yoramcohen,

this is a known bug with InDesign 15.1.0.25.

All text variables, also Current Page Number or footnote markers, show "ss" in every instance.

Caused by the following paragraph composers:

Adobe World-Ready Single-line Composer
Adobe World-Ready Composer

Currently the only known workaround is to use one of the following paragraph composers:

Adobe Single-line Composer
Adobe Paragraph Composer
Adobe Japanese Single-line Composer
Adobe Japanese Paragraph Compose

If you do text composition with Hebrew or Arabic then this is no option at all.

In that case revert back to InDesign 15.0.3 until the issue is fixed.

Vote for fixing the bug here:

ID 2020 15.1 - All text variables (including page numbers) replaced by "ss" text

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180/suggestions/40675342

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign v 15.1 has a serious bug, I think. All page numbers in all my documents become "ss" under all view modes (normal or preview), as well as exported files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines