• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Anyone having trouble with double-click and triple-click text selection?

Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2013 Jul 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since we updated to CC, I have a very good chance of this not working evey time I try it. Maybe 10% of the time, it will select the word/line as it should.  My prefs are identical for this feature as they have for the past several version of InDesign. We have the same problem on two Macs here.  My partner also has trouble with copy/paste in InDesign and Illustrator as well.

Anyone experiencing the same?

Message was edited by: bradboutwell - Typos

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2015 Jan 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem since upgrading to CC from CS 6. You are supposed to be able to use Indesign for text editing. Right?

Charlie

Macbook Air mid-2012 with Yosemite 10.10.1 and InDesign 2014.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2015 Jan 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kind of frustrating if you're just selecting a few characters, like I was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 13, 2015 Jan 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here and on many computers. A lot of things don't function quite the same in CC as they did in all previous versions. Some dialogue boxes are a problem: Used to be you'd press Cmd+J to Jump to a specific page, type a number, and hit Enter. Most of the time now I have to actually place the cursor in the dialogue box before I can type in the number. And sometimes it works as before. Sometimes not.

The ability to use the numeric keypad as an editing keypad is no longer there, which is a pain to get used to. I used it ALL the time for editing before CC.

I run across other UI differences that don't make sense and are pretty frustrating, but I can't remember all of them now.

I'm sure they must be working on another update to address a lot of these. Aren't they!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 14, 2015 Apr 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem as well, it works somethimes and sometimes not,

especially when I copy paste some selected text

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2015 Oct 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, just upgraded to CC on a brand new Mac Pro (3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5)

If I select the Type tool, triple clicking on text will not work the first time. It only works the second time. Annoying. After getting it to work and you stay with the text tool selected, triple clicking on any text works as you'd expect. But if you switch to the arrow for instance, then go back to the type tool, it will not work again the first time. Always amazed at how upgrades seem to send me backwards each time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 25, 2015 Oct 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 on this. I (almost) always have to double-click twice because nothing gets selected the first time.

Skriftklog's observation (#7) that one has to click the text frame first, then double-click to highlight, is exactly what I've discovered too. The behaviour in previous versions was much better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2015 Nov 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im on PC and just upgraded to CC, having the same problem. Triple and Quad click is completely unreliable now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2015 Dec 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Piling on—I have the problem as well, CC 2015 on a 2009 Mac Pro. Cant multi-click to select AT insertion point, but if I move cursor any direction I can multi-click-select as usual...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 21, 2016 Jan 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also piling on. I have this issue with CC 2015. I also had it with CC 2014, when I first noticed that the behavior had changed. I thought I was crazy but seeing this thread I guess not. Working on a 2014 Mac Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 22, 2016 May 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Piling on. I'm running CC 2015.2 on Windows 7 and the triple click often doesn't select the entire paragraph.

Details: If I'm displaying split view with Code and Design, and I triple-click in the Design view (on characters, between characters, fast or slow, it doesn't matter), the entire paragraph (within p and /p) is selected in code, but not in the Design view. If I'm only displaying Design view (no code, no split), the triple click doesn't APPEAR to do anything, but if I then press Delete, the entire paragraph is deleted (as if the paragraph was selected)!

If you are "piling on" to this message, you should also fill out a bug report at Feature Request/Bug Report Form so this gets fixed.

UPDATE: I deleted a paragraph and now the triple-click is working. Strange! Very inconsistent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2016 Jun 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version CC 2015 .3 here. Piling on after submitting a bug report. Even purchased a new Wacom mouse because I thought that was the issue... UGH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2016 Jun 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, how much piling on before ADOBE gets this fixed?!?!? It seems like the whole UI with the keyboard shortcuts is buggy. All my usual key board shortcuts of switching between tools is not working like it used to. Very hit or miss, and I am all about speed and this is slowing me down big time!! UGH!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2016 Jun 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well. After a bit of disgust and frustration, I decided to check out some of my drivers. I actually was able to match the "no triple click" issue to a Wacom driver that auto-updated a few weeks ago. Around the time I started being frustrated by no more triple click functionality. I dug around quite a bit and was able to locate the Wacom Intuous Tablet driver previous to the newest one... 6.3.15-3 and reinstalled it over the newer 6.3.16-12 (MAC VERSIONS HERE).

I have completely restored triple (and quadrupal) click functionality.

I wonder if others A) Have Wacom tablets that may be the culprit or B) have new drivers from recent OS updates that could be causing this. Maybe the problem correction I used can help others. Certainly none of the software/hardware companies are helping much.

Best of luck everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 23, 2016 Jun 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey that could be possible I'm running a Wacom as well. I will investigate.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2016 Jun 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@teejaystudio Thanks for the tip, looks like Wacom may be the culprit. I tried reinstalling the previous version as you suggested however it seems like it is even more glitchy now. What OS version are you on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2016 Jun 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OSX El Capitan 10.11.6 Beta (15G19a) is the version I'm running.

My driver version is:

MacOSX - Driver 6.3.15-3 (10.9x - 10.11x)  10/07/2015   96.4 MB

NOT

Driver 6.3.16-12 (10.9x - 10.11x)   06/02/2016   96.2 MB

YOU CAN FIND IT HERE: Drivers | Wacom

Under "Drivers for current Intuos Pro" NOT "LATEST Drivers for current Intuos Pro"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2016 Jul 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that the Wacom Driver is the source of the problem, even if the tablet is not connected.

After deinstalling the driver & software, now it works.

I will try the 6.3.15-3 later.

Nicolas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2016 Jul 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SWEET! I'm glad to have hopefully helped with this glitch. Best of luck to everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on 10.11.6 - looks like Sierra is not an option for my older MacPro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2016 Aug 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to 6.3.17-5 Wacom driver and still will not triple click to select entire line of text. Plugging in my original Apple mouse and the triple works. It is a Wacom issue. This has happened since a couple driver updates ago.

It is Wacom. I am contacting them. Anyone have any success or fixes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have Wacom drivers installed and I have this issue on Windows 10/InDesign CC 2015.4.

It seems like this thread actually discusses two issues: triple click not working at all (seems like a Wacom issue), and having to activate the text insertion point inside a text frame before a double/triple/quadruple click will work. My issue is the second one, which although I view it as a bug could actually be a change Adobe have implemented (I really hope not).

I used to be able to double click on a text frame that wasn't active and have the word I double-clicked on be selected, or the line with a triple-click or the paragraph with a quadruple-click. Now, I have to click once (or double-click with the arrow) to activate the cursor, pause slightly, and then do my double-click etc.

Although the time lost is negligible, it feels very frustrating and interrupts your workflow (and causes my mouse to suffer as I bash it in anger when I forgot to perform the first activation click).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andrew Ballem wrote:

I used to be able to double click on a text frame that wasn't active and have the word I double-clicked on be selected, or the line with a triple-click or the paragraph with a quadruple-click. Now, I have to click once (or double-click with the arrow) to activate the cursor, pause slightly, and then do my double-click etc.

We are aware of the issue. It used to work the way you described till ID CS6 and the change in behavior happened in ID CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ravi: does that mean there are plans to revert it back to the previous behaviour? I note now that this has been going on since 2014 (I only just upgraded hence the delayed consternation).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2016 Aug 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will this be fixed any time soon? I also have this issue and it is a little behavior that slows my productivity a surprising amount. No Wacom tablet here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you elaborate some more on the issue you're having?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines