• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Black Square on Title Line of Adobe InDesign File

Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2020 Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am writing a novel with Adobe InDesign on a Mac OS El Capitan 10.11.6, and someone gained access, and removed the InDesign file from my desktop, while an earlier version of the novel opened without my clicking on it. The main file was replaced by an earlier version which has a Black Square in the title, a theme which has been featured by the Adobe Support Coummunity.  I need to get the original file back which represents months of creative work, and I think an Adobe user, or employee, may have taken the InDesign file. The file is called: 

David Detrich | Dream the Presence of the Circular Breast Starfish Topography

I would certainly appreciate it if this file were returned.

David Detrich

Novelist

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have moved your post over to the InDesign forum.

I don't understand how someone from Adobe gained access to your computer and removed the file you are asking about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you lost or accidentally deleted a file there's nothing any of us can do to help. Did you save it in a Dropbox or Onedrive folder? If so, you can log in online and then un-delete it from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2020 Mar 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Bob said, see if you have Dropbox, Google Backup & Sync, Box, OneDrive or similar software installed. Often, they include the Desktop and Documents folder as backup; some keep a history of deleted files for 30 days.

Also, were you using Time Machine on your Mac? It would have a history too.

If you don't have ANY backup, there are utilities that might be able to recover deleted files.

Other than that, if you were not proactive, there is not much you can do.

As others have stated, nobody from Adobe or the Community Forums has access to your computer. That's not to say something isn't wrong with your computer--it's just not due to Adobe. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

1. What do you mean by "Black Square in the title"? Can you post a screenshot?

2. Why would you "think an Adobe user, or employee, may have taken the InDesign file"? If you're going to post such a claim, you should certainly provide some justification for your thinking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David Detrich  Dream The Presence of the Circular Breast Starfish Topography 

Here is a copy. The original black square is filled in. The black square theme is discussed by the Adobe Support Community, and it may or may not be an employee who put this file on my desktop. The missing file has numerous circles. and I would be happy to have it returned, because it represents months of creative work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still do noit understand why you think an Adobe employee removed or replace the file you think is missing from your desktop.

Just because you use Adobe Creative Cloud Programs does NOT mean that an employee, Not even the president, CFO, CEO, Whatever, of Adobe has access to your computer. Adobe can NOT add or remove any files from YOUR computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot find any mention of a "black square" in file names--only back boxes in place of graphics (which had a fix). If you can post linkes to these other discussions, it would be helpful.

It looks, to me, like an illegal character on a Mac OS file name (like a colon [:]). Could the file name possibly have been from a copied from a document and then pasted as the file name, or could the file been edited on a Windows computer?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are making absolutely no sense at all. Until you do so, nobody here or anywhere else can help you.

Nobody from Adobe or anywhere else connected to this community did anything to your computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's best to write novels in a word processor, such as MSWord.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, do you have a back-up of your file? It is critical to keep keep daily (or hourly) back-ups of important documents. A computer drive can fail at any time without warning.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines