Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bullet character AFTER text?

Engaged ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi InDesign wizards.

I've looked into this a few times over the years without finding a satisfying solution!

Is there any simple way to add a bullet after text, in exactly the way a paragraph style could add one at the start of it with a character style dictating its appearance?

In my case I have a catalogue which is a grid of alternating text frames appearing on the left or right. When they appear on the right, there is a nice left arrow (bullet) at the start of the heading, pointing towards its image. When the text appears on the left, there needs to be an arrow pointing right - but just not at the start of the paragraph, but after it.

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

How are the t or u characters being put into place now?

These letters can be added but it takes the headings already having a paragraph style that isn't used for non-related text.

You would do a GREP find/change, setting the scope to the paragraph style used. What GREP cannot ascertain is whether a particular heading should be a left/right pointing heading.

I'm using a phone right now so off the top of my head...

In f/c, switch to the grep tab.

For the find what field type in (.+)

For the change to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add I did stumble upon David Blattner's terric tip by using Hebrew text - which is sooo close, but lots of my entries have a code or fraction at the very end - which ends up getting moved to the start of the paragraph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using a nested style none through one tab and then type the character you want. You can assign a character style to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done similar in QXP--and it is a touch easier in ID.

The below used GREP styles and separate p.styles for left/right.

When I did mine, the left/right heads actually used a corresponding letter on each side of the head, like so (in your case):

t heading u

The GREP style for the left h1 sets the font to the Wingdings 3 font and hides the u, the right h1 does the opposite.

Capture_000411.png

Here's a link to an .indd file (CS6):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qo6w6nzg2yz9xjj/left-right-arrows.indd?dl=0

You can make it all more automatic via apply next be editing the styles. But you would need to make a sub2 style and only if they all use the same paragraph pattern in your pdf (thanks for including it).

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike this is great! But I assume I would need to manually add the left and right arrows and a space at the start end and of every heading? Anyway I can automate that please, no doubt with another fantastic GREP?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How are the t or u characters being put into place now?

These letters can be added but it takes the headings already having a paragraph style that isn't used for non-related text.

You would do a GREP find/change, setting the scope to the paragraph style used. What GREP cannot ascertain is whether a particular heading should be a left/right pointing heading.

I'm using a phone right now so off the top of my head...

In f/c, switch to the grep tab.

For the find what field type in (.+)

For the change to field type in t $1 u

At the bottom there is a box for find format. Click the magnifying glass symbol, and on the right, pick your paragraph style. Click OK.

The above will add a t<space> at the beginning of those headings and a <space>u at their end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines