• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I use InDesign and Acrobat to make an invoice template that adds items and applies percentage?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Pretty much what it says above. I'd like an invoice template with my brand design that I can add and remove items to that totals the right hand column of prices and adds a tax percentage to make a grand total at the bottom. 

I tried a script in InDesign that calculates table cells but it's a multi-step process and needs to be recalculated if a value is changed. 

I was pondering if this is possible with an interactive form fields and formulas after exporting to interactive PDF - anyone tried something similar?

thanks in advance 

Toby from Shape
https://shapecreative.co.nz/
TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely possible, but without a 3rd-party add-on, you would need to add the calculation logic/scripting to the PDF in Acrobat itself as it's not possible to add Acrobat scripts to form fields in InDesign.

The problem, of course, is that if there are any edits, all those scripts would need to be added afresh to each new version of the PDF...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I'm thinking having Acrobat as the 'authoring tool' would be OK if I could attach formulas to an example invoice and then just edit and save it each time as a new invoice -is this relatively simple to achieve?
Toby from Shape
https://shapecreative.co.nz/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
It should be fairly simple. In Acrobat, select the subtotal (or total field) when you're in form-edit mode. Open the Properties window, and you should see a calculation tab. You can enter full Javascripts to do the calculation, but Acrobat also provides simplified ways of doing calculations with fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines