• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't alter document set up in an older ID document.

Participant ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed this issue so I haven't tested to see how far back it goes. I'm not sure if it is just happening with this particular document, all of my saved docs, or docs created before a certain date or update... but here is what I have noticed:

I am working with an older document that I created at least a year ago, but I update it pretty frequently and this is the first time I've noticed this issue. I needed to change the page size so I went to File and opened the Document Setup pane. The first strange thing that sticks out is that the width and height in the document setup pane does not match the width and height that actually display in the document: 

(Oh, you're kidding?! You can't just paste screenshots into these posts anymore? I have to save and insert? That sucks.)

ID issue_Doc Setup_incorrect dimensions.jpg

According to document setup, the width is 7.5" and the height is 1", but the actual document is displaying as and exports as 11.25 x 1.5.

Then, when I try to change it, it doesn't do anything in the preview:

ID issue_Doc Setup_Preview No Change.jpg

I've changed the width and the margins and you can't see it but I do have preview checked but no preview changes happen to the document. Likewise, no changes happen when I click OK to save changes, the document just stays exactly the same. When I pull up the Document Setup pane again, all of my new dimensions are still there, but none of them have been applied to the document.

I wanted to see if this same thing would happen with a new document so I created a test page. This new page displays all of the correct measurements both in the document itself and in the Document Setup pane:

ID issue_DocSetup_test correct.jpg

And when I make changes they happen correctly in preview and when I click OK:

ID issue_Doc Setup_Test Preview.jpg

Any idea why this might be happening?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you change the page size using the page tool, the changes in the document setup do not effect the pages. This makes sense as once the page size is changed using the page tool then it in a way signifes that the document has multiple page sizes, but changing the size using the document setup alters the whole document as at once which defeats the purpose in this case. So it might be the case that your document was changed by altering the page sizes other than using the document setup.

If you want to change the page size in this document i would suggest using the page selection tool and then then enter the page dimensions in the deimension boxes or drag the page to your required dimension.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to know this! I've never used the page tool to resize a page before so this is new and useful information, thank you! So... Using the page tool did allow me to resize this page how I wanted. But this solution created more questions than it answered:

1. It would not let me resize it by dragging the edges of the page. When I did that the page size would get smaller while I was dragging but snap right back to where it had been as soon as I let go. I had to change the size using the dropdown W&H in my toolbar. 

2. I still need to get rid of my margins. As far as I can tell the page tool does not have a margins option (if it is there I'm just not seeing it) and document setup isn't working to change that either. 

3. Using the page tool seems like it is meant to allow you to resize multiple pages within the same document to different dimensions without affecting your whole document. While that is definitely very useful, I have never used the page tool before so I would not have previously used it to resize this page, I only have 1 page, the size of that page was created with document setup, has only ever been changed with document setup, and the document has never contained more than 1 page or a page of a different size than the document setup before. So, I am still left wondering how the page size became different than the document setup size and if there is a way to make them reconcile again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi InaLandCalledHonahlee,

if you hold the alt key while using the Page tool while dragging, the page would not snap back to its original size.

Perhaps that happened to you and you did not realize it.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi  InaLandCalledHonahlee,

1. As Uwe mentioned in order to resize the page using the using dragging, you need to drag with option key pressed, then the page would not snap to its original size.
  2. I was able to successfully alter the margins using the document setup dialog, however you can also use the Layout>Margins and Columns menu to change the margins
  3. In order to reconcile the document setup dialog with the page size, open document setup put in the size that corresponds to the actual page size with the preview checkbox on. After that any changes you make in the document setup dialog starts reflecting on the page as well. See the screengrab of it working at https://www.dropbox.com/s/wku38uywo45mj9w/screen%20recording%202020-02-13%20at%2010.45.04%20am.mov?d...

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines