• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't place text from Word

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have a short book set up in Word but when I use the Place option, only the title page shows...nothing else transfers over. What am I doing wrong? I thought it might be the page breaks?? The book is less than 10k words, not many chapters so I didn't want to break it down into 1-page documents for each chapter. Can you help?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds as if the placed file is not auto-flowing to create the needed number of pages.

With text frames showing, is there a red plus sign at the bottom right of that first text frame? That means there is more text.

Start over, and when you place the doc file, hold down shift. The tiny icon should show a snaking arrow line, indicating it will auto flow the content to multiple pages.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks. I just tried again and it's the same thing. There was a little
red arrow but it was like a ghost copy of what I'd already copied - so it
showed the title again.
As for holding down shift, I'm not sure when you do this? Be the time I've
clicked OK to place the file, it's already working on placing the text, if
you see what I mean...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Undo everything you've done; it should be a completely empty InDesign file with no leftovers of things you might have placed before.

Grab the Word doc to place, and position the cursor at the upper left-hand corner of the page layout. (I'd show a screen snip but my system hides the ID cursor when I try!)

The cursor should look like a little diagram of paragraphs, meaning it's ready to place one page. When you press and hold Shift, it should turn to a snaking arrow, meaning it's ready to auto flow content onto multiple pages.

When you click, it should do just that. But other content in the way will mess up the process, so start with a completely cleared page or even a new InDesign doc file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, OK! You're a star. I'll try that tomorrow, had to switch off the
computer before I chuck it out the window. I'll start fresh. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it helps, I can NEVER quite remember this function, and have to fumble around a bit before I recakk which combination forces auto-flow. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holding Shift wghile clciking the loaded cursor autoflows the whole document to be imported. Holding Alt/Opt flows one page but leaves the cursor loaded to flow the next if there's alread a sytem of frames you want to use (or if you want to skip over a page, maybe).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, it's a very flexible system... but it can be hard to remember exactly which key-click combinations function in which way. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines