Exit

Can't Release Anchor--HELPPP!!!

Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2008 Oct 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

CS3(5.0.2.640) Windows sp2

I've written about this before, thought it was solved, but it isn't.

I inserted grouped images into a numbered list, and anchored them according to instructions; first making place for the group by adding a few plain lines under the numbered item where I wanted the group, then inserting the group, then cutting it, placing the insertion point in the place I wanted the group to appear, pasting the group back, and voila...lovely anchored group. However, I've come to the conclusion that if I do that, I'd better realize it's FOREVER, because I can't seem to extricate parts of the group in case I want to change their order.

InDesign Help says to go to Object > Anchored Object > Release but my 'release' is GREYED OUT! Why? and nothing else that I've tried, works.

Could it be, that there is a frame around the entire page? I tried to delete that frame but when I try to, everything on the page isdeleted, and when I try to move that frame away, everything on the page moved with it.

I would very, very much appreciate if someone would try to answer me...it seems that I will have to repeat my work, if I can't get to the bottom of this.

Thank you so much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

greetings from 2023

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2008 Nov 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laura,

As Bob said, it's inline. If you select it and change the options you can release it, but it still appears to be an image and I can't figure out any way to break it apart so far for editing. Are you sure you didn't do something like export the page to PDF, then select the puzzle and paste it into ID?

I'll try to play some more, but no promises.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2008 Nov 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely pasted in...nothing in the links panel.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2008 Nov 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Laura,

I've been playing around a bit more, and I have to tell you this is about the strangest thing I've seen in quite some time.

You can cut the "table" from ID and paste it into Illustrator and it comes in as paths and type. The numbers are all one big group, and the letters are another, and I can't find a way to ungroup either one, but I can edit the individual numbers or letters, or select them and move them around. The black boxes are one large compound path, and all of the gridlines are tiny individual strokes. There are also a couple of clipping masks.

This looks A LOT like what I often see when opening a PDF in Illustrator that was created in another application, like InDesign, but that's probably because my settings in ID are to copy PDF to the clipboard. If I change those settings I can copy and paste inside ID, but not into Illustrator.

Although the pattern is the same between the key and the blank puzzle, I don't really think they are, in fact, the same table. This is based on the size and position of the numbers, and the fact that the numbers are in the table are Myriad Pro, but the type in the key is all Bookman Oldstyle.

I really think the key was created in Illustrator and then selected and pasted, but I have no way to confirm this, and you say you did it all, so you ought to know.

I don't know that any of that is useful information.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it was pasted FROM Illustrator. Too complex to come in as separate
objects, it would be an embedded PDF.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yest, that's what I was thinking, exactly.

But it would have to have been made separately from the table Laura put on the pasteboard in the ID doc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2008 Dec 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter and Bob,

To make things curiouser, I truly did construct the whole deal in InDesign (I'm far more comfortable with it than Illustrator). Peter, you're right - I used the blank crossword as a sort of springboard for the answer key, hence the differing types (I'll have to fix that!).

Thank you so much for taking a look! Quite a snarl, but I feel justified if I wind up having to rebuild it. :)

Laura

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

greetings from 2023

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines