Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Chain text blocks

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2023 Aug 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

Hope you could help me 🙂 I have just installed the latest version of Adobe indesign and I would like to chain my text between 2 blocks of text. I looked on youtube the way to do it but I don't have the little square on the block of text that allows me to do it. 

Here is a screenshot of my screen and the text block !

I'm stuck on this, thanks for your help if you know :))

Lisascreenshot.png

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to create the frames with the Text (T) tool. You have created those frames with the Rectangular Frame Tool

Tool.jpg

Only the Type tool creates text frames that can be threaded together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, it works !! thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are several problems with your approach.
You are on the parent page. You are working with rectangular frames instead of text frames.

Can you please show a screenshot of the "New Document Dialogue"? Are primary text frames active or not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried something else and it works now, with another tool ! Text block tool ! I think I did'nt use that tool that's why it didn't work! Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tip for the future:

Right-click on a selected frame that was accidentally created with the wrong tool --> then: "Content" gives you the option to change the type of frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A frame made with the Type tool would look like this (notice the little squares at the upper left and lower right that are larger. The one at the lower right is where you click to thread to the similar frame on the right page.

Screenshot 2023-08-05 at 4.34.41 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot, it works now !! Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have first create a text frame. Once you create your first text frame (which in your screen capture, it seems you've instead created empty frames with the Rectangle frame tool, which makes what you want to do more complex), you will be able to thread text between multiple frames.

Try this:

1. Delete the empty frames on your document
  2. Get your Text tool 
  3. Move your Text cursor to the upper-left corner and click-drag a text frame that fills the left side of the page
  4. When you do that, you'll see that little square (the exit point) that you're looking for
  5. Click on it, then move to the upper-left corner and click-drag a text frame across the right-hand page

There are many more elaborate ways to do this, which you'll doubtlessly see here shortly. But this is the simplest way to create and link text frames, and get the results you want.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot, it works now, so happy I can continue my work !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad I could help.

Can I ask a favor of you? Could you please mark the answer(s) that helped you as Correct Answer(s)? That alerts the moderators here to archive this post thread and help others who run across similar issues.

And FWIW, I didn't know the answer to your question because I'm somehow Rhodes Scholar bright; I knew it because I've screwed up that way already. It's how most of us came to that same conclusion. So if you have problems/complications in the future, please feel free to come back here and sound the alarm. There are lots of sharp folks who may be able to lend a hand.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For future reference you can right-click any frame and select Content to cahnge the frame type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines