• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Choosing where page numbers start

Nov 27, 2013 Nov 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm working on a book project and would like to start the numbering on a particular page. How do I do that?

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 27, 2013 Nov 27, 2013

Put your page numbers on a master page. Create a text frame. With the Type tool selected, choose Type > Insert Special Character > Markers > Current Page Number. Pages based on that master page will show the current page number. (Make sure the page number is on a layer or stacking order high enough to make them visible if there is a background object.)

Use Numbering and Section Options from the Pages panel menu to specify where the numbering starts and what style of numbering you're using.

Use a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2013 Nov 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand why you seem to object so much to my providing additional information to a new user. I didn't say anything negative about your post. I said nobody had mentioned that there would be a warning dialog. How is that a problem for you?

One of the biggest advantages of these forums is that they are searchable, and many more users besides the one making the orignal post may see and benefit fom information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2013 Nov 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what? Let ID complain. That's why I wrote "not very elegant", but that's actually what the topic starter asked for. He/she might renumber the first two pages to A and B if he/she likes.

Absolutely belligerent response.

Why are you picking a fight with Peter (or anyone)?

The mind boggles???

Peter seems to be Mister 100%.

Well that's why he's an MVP and his photo and bio are on the side of the page, because he can give courteous and helpful advise - and does so willingly in his free time and likes to help people without being rude.

What nobody has mentioned so far is that you can turn on in the

Preferences>General

And switch from Section Numbering to Absolute Numbering.

This will allow the pages to be displayed as 1,2,3,4 etc.

But the page numbering will reflect the Sections

For example:

This is the advice the software makers gave when using this feature.

It's nice to explain these things to people that aren't familiar with the software - as it stops the added confusion.

When replying it's always best to give 100% correct answers rather than leaving a user frustrated with the Advise given - as it wasn't complete and they are getting warnings and don't know what to do!

If you're answer isn't 100% then someone will correct or steer the topic that way - and that way the OP and future readers get all the best advice - rather than 50/60/70etc.% of it.

And it is possible that these threads are found years later, and with only half arsed written posts that add confusion to new users - I'm glad Peter is "Mister 100%".

We can all help the OP - it's not a competition.

All the information gathered in one place helps the OP and the future readers of posts.

There's no need to snipe one another on the forums.

In essence, relax.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 29, 2013 Nov 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Eugene: What? Fight? Where?

Easy, pal. Nobody's fighting here. I just find it pretty useless to inform users about or point to ID complains he/she will be going to see anyway. See post 3.

I actually pointed out in post 2, that my numbering scheme example is not elegant, which implies that there might be complications. People are not stupid, you know. They can think. For example, if someone buys an apple in a grocery store, nobody will come and tell him, the apple will start to foul when not eaten with in a week or so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to PM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually couldn't be bothered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi I have a question!

i would like to start my page numbering at page 6, but have it say page 1... how do I do this?

I have already set up page numbers and been able to get the page numbers to start showing up at page 6, but I want it to say 1 instead of 6 at that page...

Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines