Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Connecting a Button to another INDD Page: "External Anchor not found"

Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2019 Apr 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there!

• INDD docs "A" and "B" are both into a Book (INDB).
  • An interactive button in "A" must connect or link to Page #1 in "B" (you click on this button, it takes you there).

Now:

• Making an Hyperlink does work, yes! But I need a "button" that changes its appearance on click.
  • I tried creating a Button >> Go to Destination >> Document: "B" >> Destination: EXAMPLE (Bookmark created to Page #1).
  • BUT when I export my Book as EPUB, my Button does not go to destination. Eventually, an error message is displayed while exporting:

---

External Anchor not found: 1

External Anchor "EXAMPLE" at "/B.indd" is missing

---

I tried looking through this forums and did google, but couldn't really find any solution. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any input or help!

PS: This is actually a big project including several files and lots of pages. I would like to keep it as it is, in separate INDD file - and thus avoid putting it all together into a single and very large INDD file.

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and I am not figuring out how to solve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi together,

if you do a page of a Go-to-Page-Behavior the target page must be in the same document with the button.

Therefore the workaround: Merge the InDesign documents to one. Use a Go-to-Page-Behavior with your buttons instead of a Go-to-Anchor-Behavior ( in the UI that's Go To Destination ).

Tested the Go-to-Anchor-Behavior where the target is an anchor item of the kind hyperlink page destination with a different document in a book. I see the same issue. This simply does not work. Seems to be a bug in the InDesign Book file export functionality.

Exported the InDesign book with A and B docs as EPUB Version 3.

During the export this error message was issued:

EPUB-Export-from-BookFile-ErrorMessage.PNG

Message translated:

External Anchor not found: 1

External anchor "Page 1" of file "Doc-B-2020.indd" is missing.

However, I defined page 1 of doc B as hyperlink page destination:

HyperLinkPageDestination-Add-in-Doc-B.PNG

and also used it with my button in document A:

ButtonDefinition-Doc-A.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines