• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Continuous Numbering for Endnotes at the End of Chapters

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2023 Oct 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a long document with multiple chapters. I am placing endnotes at the end of each chapter, however I want the numbering to continue and not start over for each chapter. For example the notes for Chapter 1 are 1-22, and I would like the notes for chapter 2 to start with 23, and so on.

Thank you!

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2023 Oct 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not automatically, but you can control the start number, so in chapter 2 you can set the notes to start with 23. You just have to watch the numbers after edits are entered.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @T.5FCB ,

all of your chapters are in one single document?

Hm. With that constellation you cannot control the start number for endnotes for chapters ( text threads or stories ) individually. If you'd change the value from e.g. 1 to 23, every chapter's endnote numbering will begin with endnote number 23.

To escape that you need an InDesign book file with one InDesign document for every chapter ( text thread or story ) .

And you need to manage the start numbering for endnotes in every document yourself. There is no automatic way to sync the endnotes continously throughout the documents of a book file.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm! …

You can obviously do it … simply!

In my sample, each Chapter runs on its own story.

1/ Define the End Notes Main Story as "End of Document" and just keep one text frame. You surely will have overset text.

2/ Move this text frame at the end of the Chapter 1. If needing, keep cool and add other text frames on the following pages to keep the End Notes of the chapter 1 together.

3/ Link the last text frame of this End Notes Main Story to another new text frame after the Chapter 2 and play the previous game again.

4/ Do the same thing with the other chapters.

Note the para style of the End Notes Title is parametered to be at the top of the next text frame.

It took me several minutes to do it!

1.png2.png3.png4.png5.png

Quick, simple, relevant and the End Notes Numbering continues on all the document without doing nothing else!!  😉

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michel,

well, yes, that should work.

The only downside is editing the document when new endnotes must be added or endnotes are dropped later in time…

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Uwe,

Adding or removing end notes is not a problem (about the end notes auto-numbering)!

E.g.,  if you add lots of end notes in the Chapter 1, maybe you will need to add a new text frame, but is it truly a problem!

Of course, as you know, I won't play this game manually! …

Best,

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines