• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crashing, deleting text boxes, selection tool not working - HELP!

New Here ,
May 30, 2024 May 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have been using InDesign for about five years and until very recently was using a Windows laptop and had never had an issue, not once.

Last week I bought a new laptop - a Macbook Air.

Since running InDesign on this Mac the software has crashed nearly every single day but not only this but entire pages of work go missing, random text disappears and the current annoyance is not even showing entire pages when scrolling through the document - just the pasteboards.

This has cost me probably ten hours or so of work which I find frankly appauling given how much I pay a month for the software. Can somebody advise because I am at my wit's end with this.

Thanks,

Ollie

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can start by supplying the full version numbers for InDesign and the operating system. Also, how much RAM?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't know that was protocol, my bad.

RAM = 16gb

OS - Sonoma 14.5

InDesign version: 19.4

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd suggest restoring your InDesign preferences and caches. Here's how:

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-rebuilding-preferences-cache/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should be OK - I know you say how much to pay for software to work etc.

But look at your Windows machine - no problems

Then you pay a hefty sum for a Mac and it doesn't work.
Wouldn't you be concerned how much you forked out for an overpriced Mac? 

Anyway ... 

14.5 Sonoma is a new version of Sonoma 

and InDesign 19.4 is a new version of InDesign, pretty sure released on Sonoma 14.4.1 

If you can roll back to 14.4.1 on your Mac - then I'd suggest you do - as that's the most stable version for InDesign (that I know of). 

You can try installing a slightly older version of InDesign which might be more stable 

Rollback to a previous InDeisgn version

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html#:~:text=Open%20the%20Cr....

----

You already got advice to reset your preferences.

If that doesn't work then try the Cleaner Tool

Reinstalling rarely fixes everything - you can do a complete reinstall using the
Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2024 May 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

In regard to the laptop choice, the Windows alternative which I was looking at was a new XPS which was even more expensive than the Mac, I got a 10% teacher discount at Apple. I have always been Windows but just wanted to see what the fuss was about!

Thanks once again for the tips!

Ollie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines