• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating a font from an existing font???

Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do i create a font based on an existing font? We need to substitute 1 letter for a glyph of the same typestyle?
Instead of find/replace everytime  we work on a project, i was hoping to create a font based on the one we have. So anyone can load it, and the type would come in natural and easy every time.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many programs out there that can create custom fonts for you. However, be careful basing on an existing font. There can be copyright issues since most created fonts are licensed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds a bit as though InDesign's "composite font" feature might be what you're looking for:

Install and use fonts in InCopy

The link is to InCopy help, but InDesign also has this feature, but it may be available only in the CJK and ME versions of InDesign, though if you have a CC subscription, you can install the ME version for free.

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we purchased the font, however, the lowercase "a" in the glyphs is what we want, not the standard lowercase "a".

Just trying to find a solution that multiple users can apply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if I understand correctly, both characters in question already exist in the font you licensed;

• a1: the character applied when the 'a' key is pressed
  • a2: an alternate lower-case a which you'd like to swap into a1's position in the font so that it appears (instead of a1) when the 'a' key is pressed

Right?

If it's that simple, the remapping may be worth a try via copy/paste in FontForge

Be warned though; font "authoring" can be tricky business. Even a simple modification like this can turn into an entanglement. Tread carefully, read the documentation, and don't overwrite the pre-existing font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And if John is correct in assuming that both a's exist in the font already, then please check to see that there isn't a 'stylistic set' that might already be programmed to use that alternate 'a', under: Character panel / Opentype / Stylistic sets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines