Exit

Creating ID -> Acrobat forms: font question

Explorer ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day.

I am using ID 17.2.1 x64 Windows

I have created quite a few fillable forms for Acrobat from InDesign. It seems the default for the answers is always Minion Pro, a serif font. I know the default font that Acrobat prefers would be Courier, Arial, Minion or Myriad (with Symbols as an addition for special characters). 

https://help.adobe.com/en_US/AEMForms/6.1/DesignerHelp/WS92d06802c76abadb-728f46ac129b395660c-7ef5.2...

I have tried to choose Arial or Myriad as the default for my form answer fields in InDesign, but ID changes the form field answer font to Minion when I make an interactive form in InDesign and open the PDF in Acrobat.

Is this a bug? How do I get my font choice to 'stick?'

Thanks!

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Even if you do it in Acrobat, the font must have the correct embedding permissions to "stick". If the font does not, and you select it for use in a form field in Acrobat, Acrobat will display a warning telling you that it cannot be embedded.

But any font you choose in InDesign's Buttons and Forms panel will not stick, whether or not it has the correct embedding permissions built into it. So the user would have to have it installed on their own computer for it to work. Which makes choosing a font

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Acrobat you can change the font of form and have it stick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Even if you do it in Acrobat, the font must have the correct embedding permissions to "stick". If the font does not, and you select it for use in a form field in Acrobat, Acrobat will display a warning telling you that it cannot be embedded.

But any font you choose in InDesign's Buttons and Forms panel will not stick, whether or not it has the correct embedding permissions built into it. So the user would have to have it installed on their own computer for it to work. Which makes choosing a font for form fields in InDesign fairly useless.

You can use my (not free) FormMagic InDesign add-on to apply fonts to form fields in InDesign and with FormMagic the selected fonts will stick, exactly as they do with Acrobat. (Which works both ways: If you get a warning in Acrobat, it won't work with FormMagic either, but if there is no warning in Acrobat, it will work with FormMagic in InDesign.)

There is a free version of FormMagic for short 1-page forms.

FormMagic – Id-Extras.com

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines