Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating interactive index from "dead" index

Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2023 Oct 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

In preparation to create an ebook from  print files I will need to link index entries from an index that is not linked yet. Any advice on how to do that? I see lots of info on how to create an interactive index as one goes along writing the book but I cannot figure out how to reverse engineer that.

Thanks,

Tom

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There may be some script or indexing tool out there, but I don't know of any magical way to link an index list back to its source points without re-entering the index markers and re-generating it.

Exactly what "print" files do you have right now?

Also, keep in mind that indexes are, if not obsolete, at least of far less use in a searchable e-text. It's fairly common to leave the print-edition index in place as a search and info guide, especially if it was well-constructed and not just a list of keywords. So the (rather large) effort to make the index active may not really be worth it. Page numbers are of course no longer useful but can be valuable location and approximate-context indicators; it's a toss-up whether to leave them in or take them out of such a 'dead list.'

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I guess this is what I was dimly recalling. A bit pricey for one use, maybe, but a very clever bit of software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit pricey for one use

I think that's subjective. $70 to reverse-engineer an index that would take days to do manually? That's a bargain, IMO.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Subjective, yes. The OP may consider it a bargain.

But then, as e-books have only a limited need for an indes, as above, it could also be 100% too much. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines