• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cross-references across files do not include text variable

Engaged ,
Oct 08, 2023 Oct 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. using ID 18.5 on Win 11 (and everything should be updated).

I'm working on a book that includes several files. Periodically, I make cross-references to a head in another file but within the book. When my Xref crosses so many pages, I use the built-in Xref format "<paraText />" on page <pageNum />. This works fine.

In one head I used a text variable. Call it <WXYZ>. It is short -- 4 characters. The context is a head like "<WXYZ> Forms and Functions." In the other file, I do the cross reference to that head. But I get only "Forms and Functions." In NEITHER the cross reference dialog box NOR in my in-document cross-reference does the text variable show up. To forestall one possible comment: The same text variable is defined identically in all files of the book.

Is there some method I'm missing here, or will text variables used in heads just not appear in cross references?

Puzzled.

Thanks as always to the community for guidance.

-j

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Nedlaw:

Variables leave a lot to be desired in InDesign. They can't break across lines for example, despite years of requests. I just tested this (for the first time) and sure enough InDesign doesn't see the variable in the cross-referenced paragraph.

The only workaround I can think ofā€”it's not greatā€”is to go ahead and cross-reference the headings and ignore the missing variables while you are working on the document. Before you are ready to output it for the final time, save a copy of the file, convert those variables to text and then update the cross-references. You can convert all of them at once in Type > Variables > Define.

If you want to log this as a feature request, I'd be happy to vote for it. I don't recall anyone asking this specific question before, so I'm not sure that there is one already logged, but it would be worth looking. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I log it as a feature request? I can see how to do that as a new post, but this is already up.

Thanks as always for your excellent replies.

-j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha. I forgot to include the link: https://indesign.uservoice.com. Eventually, this page will be used to report bugs but not yet.

And as you know, I'm always happy to help. It's been a while since I've seen you, so hope you're doing well.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been well, yes. Thanks. The uservoice page won't accept the same username and password that I use to log into the forums. Tried several times. Oh, well....

Always experimenting -- currently trying to find a way to "include" one file in another but make it editable and inherit various settings from the enclosing file. No success yet. Thought I might do it with CC libraries, but there doesn't seem to be a usable text "object." Maybe I need DITA... (that's a different story).

Thanks again.

-j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should accept your normal user ID. I log into both with mine.

And no, InDesign doesn't have a way to accomplish your last question. Structured FrameMaker supports DITA, so you could ask this question over there when you are ready. 
https://community.adobe.com/t5/framemaker/ct-p/ct-framemaker?page=1&sort=latest_replies&filter=all&l...

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2023 Oct 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Nedlaw said: "ā€¦ The uservoice page won't accept the same username and password that I use to log into the forums. Tried several times. Oh, well...."

Hi @Nedlaw ,

I see this as well with my Adobe ID that I am using for the forums.

What helped:

Using the same mail address that I used for the Adobe ID and creating a new password especially for the uservoice site. With that I can also log in to e.g. the Adobe Illustrator uservoice site.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines