• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS5 Running very sticky

May 03, 2010 May 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've installed InDesign CS5 and it's running terribly when I have graphics placed, especially at high resolution display.  It's choppy, sticky - to much to even work with.  I've thrown out the SavedData and InDesign Defaults, but it doesn't help.  Has anyone else experienced this problem, or have any ideas what I can do.  CS4 runs fine.

Thanks,

Adam

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 205 Replies 205
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2010 May 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Theun,

I can't speculate on Wayne's setup, but I'm over here with my pitiful one monitor, and Adam's file is a disaster for me, too.  I can make my own files with his link that work fine in CS4 and not in CS5, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, it's pretty definitively a CS5-only issue? Perhaps I'm gonna await 7.0.1

It seems everyone else already has suggested everything I could offer ...

Perhaps the Adobe engineers optimized screen redraws for quite large images -- but not large enough, so it backfires double with these ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am seeing the exact same problem under Windows 7 64-bit... Tried only with an CS4 170 pages document with lots of graphics and vector files. It is impossible to work with it... Installed Master Collection Trial, my Video Card is a ATI HD 4870 with 512MB, running with a Core i7 920 processor with 6GB of RAM with latest drivers. CS4 runs fine though!

See ya!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried oppening the file that was showing problems in Windows in InDesign CS5 for Mac... Same stickiness... Perhaps it is some feature in CS4 that isn't properly supported in CS5... Don't know... When I get home I'll try to remake the main file (Master Pages, Styles, etc...) to see what happens....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just finished a 1/4 page magazine ad with high res display on. Went to close the ad and CRASH. Here is a link to the crash report if anyone can make sense of it. I did send the crash log to Adobe...

InDesign Quite Unexpectedly

http://www.digitalmarketing1.com/IDCS5-Crash.rtf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cspann wrote:

Just finished a 1/4 page magazine ad with high res display on. Went to close the ad and CRASH. Here is a link to the crash report if anyone can make sense of it. I did send the crash log to Adobe...

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)

Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000

Bad font, I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ran FontDoctor. It found 33 duplicate fonts. All in the:  Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cspann wrote:

Ran FontDoctor. It found 33 duplicate fonts. All in the:  Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts folders.

Might be, but I think it's more likely a corrupt or badly made font. First suspects are freeware and cheapo fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to disable the new "always on" content preview when dragging things around or resizing boxes. I just noticed my first trace of what you guys have been talking about, and it happened when I was trying to fine-tune the cropping of a PDF inside a box. The PDF is all text, converted to outlines.

Nothing fancy at all. I think the file is 50-60 kb. single color.

It was just sort of "jerky" and I am quite sure it is because of the "always preview" of CS5 where content is concerned.

I actually didn't mind the "click and hover to preview" functionality of earlier versions, because I don't always want to see that over my design if I'm lining something up, and in this specific case, the new functionality actually hindered my ability to align my objects properly. I had to resort to the keyboard to fine-tune the placement, something I had almost stopped doing since smart-guides were introduced in CS4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the Online Help:

"Live Screen Drawing

In InDesign CS5, you see the content draw as you drag it. In previous InDesign versions, you pause before dragging to see the content draw. You can change the Live Screen Drawing setting in Interface preferences to use the previous behavior. See Change Interface preferences."

(c'ted from over there)

Live Screen Drawing
Select an option to determine whether the image redraws as you drag an object. If Immediate is selected, the image redraws while you drag. If Never is selected, dragging an image moves only the frame, and then image is moved when you release the mouse button. If Delayed is selected, the image redraws only if you pause before dragging. Delayed offers the same behavior as in InDesign CS4."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your Interface preferences. Change Live Screen Drawing to delayed.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cspann wrote:

You might want to take a look at this, too: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2791446#2791446

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2010 Jun 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having similar issues on Windows 7 64-bit with a quad-core i5, 6 GB RAM and an ATI Radeon HD 4350 card. Very sluggish no matter what I do. The only improvement I've been able to make is to turn off Smart Guides.

My older Pentium 4 system running CS2 on Windows Vista was much faster than CS5 on a brand-new multicore system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 12, 2010 Jun 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would add 1 point to speeding up InDesign CS5.

1. Live Screen Drawing set to delayed.

2. Switch off smart guides when not needed.

3. Switch off instant preflight on bottom bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried turning off preflighting, turning off page thumbnails, turning off Smart Guides, turning off Live Screen Redraw, adjusting view settings, and just about every other performance tip I can find and none of it really makes that much difference. InDesign CS5 is still amazingly slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much I will do all of those. Turning off the Live Screen

redraw was a huge difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2010 Oct 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too.  Live Screen Drawing makes no difference for me either.

Immediate actually works better for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 09, 2010 Oct 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Are you able to disable 2 cores of your processor and check if it helps?

http://www.mactricksandtips.com/2008/05/disabling-cpu-cores-on-a-mac.html

2. Are you able to limit your memory to 4 GB and check if it helps?

3. If you go to "About this MAC" what is the status of "64-bit core and extensions"? YES or NO?

Simply, as mentioned in other thread, I have mac mini Core 2 DUO 2.53 GHz,  4GB RAM and it works with CS5 as the hell. I try to find out why stronger 4/8-core machines experience the problems.

It seems to me that the reason lays more on the connection of ID CS5 and Snow Leopard than CS5 itself only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2010 Oct 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those that have reported this Adobe...Have you also reported it to Apple?

And before anyone jumps down throat, I'm not pointing fingers, but there's no clear cut reason for this and it could be the O/S, the application or both.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2010 Oct 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Phorna ...   You're awesome to answer my question and try to help me.  I really appreciate it.

The suggestions you offered may be too advanced for me.  I did check my About This Mac ...   under Software > Extensions ...   64-Bit (Intel) says Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have filed an official bug on this, along with a link to this thread and a sample file. Hopefully it will catch the attention of the proper engineering types.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just curious if you are booted with 64bit Kernels and Extensions in Mac OS X?

Although I believe it probably has something to do with the new way CS5 handles the viewing of the image when you drag it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I'm not booted into 64 bit and extensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, changing Live Screen Drawing to delayed fixed my sticky image/text problem completely! My entire ID works much better. No more sticky windows either.

Live Screen Drawing to delayed

1. Choose Edit > Preferences > Interface (Windows) or InDesign > Preferences > Interface (Mac OS).

2. Choose Live Screen Drawing and set to Delayed, and click OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps Adobe designed and tested CS5 on a prototype of a next generation iMac: 10GHz Intel Quintiple Core, 10 gigs of memory, 1 gig on the video card ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines