Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dark green RGB turns blue when converted to CMYK

New Here ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I know the RGB to CMYK question is common and I am used to the CMYK being more desaturated then RGB counterpart (I understand the color sience behind it). But I have never experienced the color changing completely. 

(Every color except the RGB is in CoatedFogra39)

This is the original RGB (2, 50, 46)

Skärmavbild 2022-08-09 kl. 09.12.21.png

Below you can see that the online convertion from RGB to CMYK made it dark blue (96, 0, 8, 80) while the bar below is the CMYK color that Adobe suggest in the color panel (92, 50, 65, 67). 

Skärmavbild 2022-08-09 kl. 09.15.04.png

When I open the color settings for the Dark blue adobe suggests a web safe color (in CMYK mode photoshop) that looks closer to the original rgb (93, 51, 60, 65)

Skärmavbild 2022-08-09 kl. 09.23.04.png

I didn't pick the original RGB color but I have to make it into a similar CMYK so for a brand book. Should I adjust the CMYK manually so that it works or do you guys have any suggestions on what I should do?

Maybe find a pantone first and then find a good CMYK from that? There is not enough budget for test prints unfortunately (just standard office print).

TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Below you can see that the online convertion from RGB to CMYK made it dark blue (96, 0, 8, 80) while the bar below is the CMYK color that Adobe suggest in the color panel (92, 50, 65, 67).

Online web conversions are not accurate and should not be used—HTML coding is not capable of making color managed RGB to CMYK conversions.

When you build a 90|0|8|80 CMYK swatch in a document with Coated FOGRA39 assigned as the CMYK profile, InDesign is displaying the built color’s expected appearance when

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't see any colours in the sample in your post. It's usually recommended to keep images in InDesign in RGB color mode. Certain colours, such as bright green and bright orange can't be reproduced in CMYK.

There are some colour management experts who volunteer on this forum who, no doubt, will be able to help with your particular issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer! You can't see the pictures or should I add any other information to make it clearer? I'm sticking with RGB in the inDesign document but I need to type in the CMYK codes for the brand book. 

Orginal RGB with the CMYK that Adobe suggests

Skärmavbild 2022-08-08 kl. 13.57.06.png

After the online CMYK convertion

Skärmavbild 2022-08-09 kl. 13.11.58.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can mix RGB and CMYK in InDesign documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if I was not clear, where's what I mean about typing the CMYK code in the brandbook

So I'm inserting the Hex, RGB, CMYK and HSB 🙂

Skärmavbild 2022-08-09 kl. 14.07.21.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are your RGB colors (2, 50, 46) meant for sRGB?

Then I get a CMYK of (91.8, 50.23, 64.89, 67.23) with FOGRA 39 and with Adobe (ACE) color engine and priority set to relative color metric. InDesign 2022 version 17.3.0 on Windows 10.

From my German InDesign:

ColorConversion-FOGRA-39-DocumentSettings.PNG

ColorConversion-FOGRA-39.PNG

What do you mean by "online conversion" ?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Online web conversions are not accurate and should not be used—HTML coding is not capable of making color managed RGB to CMYK conversions.

When you build a 90|0|8|80 CMYK swatch in a document with Coated FOGRA39 assigned as the CMYK profile, InDesign is displaying the built color’s expected appearance when printed on an offset press profiled to FOGRA39.

When you make an RGB-to-CMYK conversion in an Adobe print app, the conversion is color managed—the resulting CMYK values depend on the source RGB profile assigned to your 2|50|46 RGB color, the CMYK destination profile you choose, and the Conversion Options you choose (Intent, and Black Point Compensation). If the RGB color is in the CMYK gamut, InDesign will attempt to preserve its appearance on the conversion, which is why the Photoshop values look closer to the original.

You can see how the source RGB color affects the conversion. Here 2|50|46 RGB has AdobeRGB assigned, which is a larger RGB space. The conversion to FOGRA 39 using Relative Colorimaetric as the Intent outputs as 100|47|67|70:

Screen Shot 10.png

Maybe find a pantone first and then find a good CMYK from that?

For branding color this might help:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/branding-color-guide/td-p/10818696

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, FWIW the InDesign and Photoshop Color Pickers’ values are  color managed, which explains why 90|0|8|80 entered into the Picker would not show an RGB value of 2|50|46. The Hex, RGB, HSB, and Lab values are color managed based on the document’s assigned color profiles (Edit>Assign Profiles...)

Here the Color Picker shows the RGB values for CMYK 90|0|8|80 as 0|56|75, which is the conversion from FOGRA39 to sRGB for that specific CMYK build. If I change the document profile assignments, I’ll get different conversion values.

Screen Shot 11.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. All online converters are dangerous and useless - even Adobe's online service, which is disgraceful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe Color https://color.adobe.com/create/color-wheel has discontinued its CMYK Color Mode for that very reason—it’s impossible to specify HTML or CSS coded color as CMYK.

Screen Shot 16.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines