• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Data Merge - can you merge everything into one text box? (for directory)

Participant ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am building a neighborhood directory (name, address, phone, email, kids names, etc...) and everything is currently in a spreadsheet.  I know how to do data merging with multiple records appearing on a single sheet except when you do this, each listing appears in its own text box.  Is there any way to have this merge done to where everything merges into a single text box so I can flow them betweeen multiple pages?  Some listings have more information than others so it will look better this way that it would as individual text boxes because there will be large gaps between some of them, like those without kids.

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Advocate , Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

EZ: Just place your cursor into the text frame, and click your fields in the data-merge window.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

You can do it, but it is a workaround. If the database changes, you're going to be doing it all over again.

I outline the technique here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTcvNQTYgrA

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EZ: Just place your cursor into the text frame, and click your fields in the data-merge window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you forgetting any information?  From what you describe, it will only put one record per text box per page like normal.  I want all records to fill one text box like a phone book

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found that the best way to do this (I create a community directory annually) is to do the mail merge in Word with the directory option and then to place that Word file into ID for additional formatting. Gives you one text box for the whole thing. You can map styles from Word to ID to simplify formatting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didnt know there was a directory type merge in Word, I will look into that!  Never worked with styles in Word though.  That sounds like it may all work out, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can do it, but it is a workaround. If the database changes, you're going to be doing it all over again.

I outline the technique here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTcvNQTYgrA

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines