• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Data merge don't export all pages of Document

New Here ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you have a Doc with 4 pages and spreads, the exported file will only contain the page-order 1,2,2,4. Page 3 won't be exported. 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Hi,

Just throwing out a suggestion here, have you tried splitting the spread since your final PDF contains single pages only?

By @Thunder-Lightning

I think the problem is with the DataMerge itself - and it looks like a bug:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/data-merge-don-t-export-all-pages-of-document/m-p/14341782#M556823

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2024 Jan 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please supply screenshots of your issue and what your setup is, what the result is and what the expected result should be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here a short documentary of this issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for clarification - are you:

A) DataMerge -> INDD file -> Export PDF

Or

B) DataMerge -> PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DataMerge to pdf. 

Cause there are about 1.000 adresses and the indd will contain over 4k pages. A pdf can do that easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 09, 2024 Jan 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Just throwing out a suggestion here, have you tried splitting the spread since your final PDF contains single pages only?

Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 1.53.42 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

By @Thunder-Lightning

I think the problem is with the DataMerge itself - and it looks like a bug:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/data-merge-don-t-export-all-pages-of-document/m-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

okay, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2024 Jan 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DataMerge is used to BUILD documents - not to export them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to export to a pdf. Why I shouldn't do it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not saying that you can't - it's just the title of your post. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sry, I didn't thought the right way. 

Problem explaind at previous post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe that's the problem - something goes wrong when PDF is exported directly by DataMerge - can you try the A) route? 

Or try to split your source data file to a smaller chunks? 500 records? 200 records? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The A-Route works. But the time to create a 4k page indd file takes way too long. Also by splitting.

It also works with single pages. Due to customer-data the possibility of errors are too high.

This is only a small example. Somtimes I have documents with more than 5k data-entries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything takes time... 

Any chance you could do those Tasks overnight? 

Otherwise, maybe it would be cost effective to just get additional machine - just for Tasks of this kind? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or... If it's just a "plain text" - maybe you could do it in Acrobat? 

Or use some 3rd party solution, that will take PDF and add your text in the right place? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would work in some cases. A view years ago, a very good 3rd party solution existed: 'Smartstream Designer'
But since 2019 Adobe didn't support it any more. Older versions of InDesign aren't available any more to run this addon.

For me it's always a workaround with datamerge, because the functionality is compared to smartstream designer very poor.
Another 3rd party addon is Meadows Design merge pro. But this one is really expensive... about 5k €

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you work on a PC...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another idea - do you have to add / modify anything else in those files - or just add "footnote" somewhere?

If the latter - then, instead of building 4k / 5k page documents - you would need a solution, that will just replace contents of this "footnote" and export the PDF...

And even if you would need to update more info in the text - still pice of cake - can be done in at least two different ways:

A) hidden layer that will be copied and filled, 

B) tool would open INDD template file, update info and export PDF, close INDD file and start over. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like a bug to me - I've tried to replicate the fault in IDCC2022 on English (UK) install on a Mac OS Bis Sur 11.7.10 but cannot replicate the fault.

Have you tried making a new 4pp document with placeholder text on all pages and variable textframe on the last page like your sample, and tried the same export setup on that? My hypothesis is that the document demonstrated is corrupted, so I'd like to rule this out first.

That's interesting about the HP Smartstream Designer plug-in. I'd learned it years ago but never used as part of a real-world project, so it languished... I can see other posters elsewhere on the Adobe forums have said the same thing - have you been able to reach out to Hewlett Packard for an answer?

I also share a separate opinion to Robert here and use - and advocate - for exporting documents rather than building them. If the data is right upon export, then creating a merged InDesign file is double handling. Note that I say this from my experience as a printer who regularly has to make variable data in the tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands, rather than using data merge for catalogue work. I do also use data merge to set up business cards en masse and use my own data merge to single record script to export dozens of indd files that are named after the recipient (rather than untitled1.indd etc and rename them) and then make minor edits as they come in... but for direct mail I would do exactly what 1adruck has set up.

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to your suggestion for replicating the error, here is the weired one:

If I place a small extra textfield on any of the middle pages, the error doesn't occure any more.

But this issue comes always, when you only put full side pdf inside the document without any other objects.

I think HP said, they don't support Smartstream Designer any more. The last IND-Version supportesd was 2018.

Meadows Design Merge is similar to Smart Stream Designer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meadows Design Merge is similar to Smart Stream Designer.

By @drx_ander

And it's €5k - once or yearly? For the basic or full version with all the bells and whistles? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Colin Flashman 

I'm pretty sure @1adruck and @drx_ander is the same person - just two accounts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Second account (Stock only) was active during opening the thread. Sry 4 that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2024 Jan 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Second account (Stock only) was active during opening the thread. Sry 4 that

By @drx_ander

No problem at all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines