Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Data Merge in newest version of InDesign

New Here ,
Jun 12, 2012 Jun 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone can point me to the improvments to Data Merge in the newest version of InDesign (assuming there are some). We are specifically looking for a way to output single PDFs (500 page Data Merged InDesign Document saves as 500 PDF files for example) and each PDF being named using a column from the attached Excel file. I realise that it will be possible to have the javascripted, but was kind of hoping to avoid this with the newest InDesgn.

Thanks,

Graham

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2015 Feb 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get an Raise error:

Ingebouwde functies van Acrobat Escript-versie 11.0

Acrobat SOAP 11.0

RaiseError: Het bestand is een alleen-lezen bestand of een andere gebruiker heeft het geopend. Sla het document op met een andere naam of in een andere map.

Doc.extractPages:83:Console undefined:Exec

===> Het bestand is een alleen-lezen bestand of een andere gebruiker heeft het geopend. Sla het document op met een andere naam of in een andere map.

true

It's Dutch, but basically it says the file is read-only or another user is using it.

Don't know which file acrobat is talking about. the CSV isn't open nor selected in Finder

Help! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does this have to do with Data Merge and InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first post is similar to my "problem"

I have to output a 6 page "manual" as pdf. No biggie so far..

but the manual is for 600 similar products with enough variation to have separate manuals.

The data is merged from an xls -> cvs into indesign.

Indesign spits out a 3600 page pdf.

Acrobat us used to split the pdf into 600 separate pdf's with a filename similar to the productname/ productcode.

I tried to automate this using the script from alanomaly‌But I get this error..

It would be nice though if InDesign could save the records as separate multipage pdf files with a cvs column variable as filename, without having 600 ind files open.

Assuming you're Dutch and an Indesign Oracle (last name Spier and criticizing my previous post) maybe you could help me out in Dutch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, the family left Amsterdam 4 or 5 generations back and I don't speak dutch. And I know nearly nothing about InDesign scripting, and absolutely nothing at all about Acrobat scripting.

And it wasn't a criticism. It was a question as to why you were posting about an Acrobat script here -- I didn't reread the entire thread to see that the scrip originated in this thread, so I can see now why you did what you did, because your problem seems to be with the script, and not with ID's data merge, it would be better to ask about it in the Acrobat forums, unless someone else who already has participated in this this thread has found the solution and would care to share it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2016 Jan 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had exactly this problem as I am trying to run this in InDesign CS6, i replaced the second like as youdid but this is still not working for me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please start a new thread and provide more details about the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to save my data merge file as separate PDF's with the file names being from a CSV file that I used in the data merge. When running this script it tell me that

this.importDataObject("CSV Data");  doc is undefined

I"m on InDesign CS6 on Mac...help please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank-you! the indesign secrets works great!

I'm also going to try the script as I'm determined to get it! Thank you for the help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2014 Jul 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running into the same situation as well. I have tried a myriad of solutions, but nothing seems to work

I don't think that I am missing something that's fundamentally simple. I've gone through the process a couple of dozen times without success.

I may have to split my PDF and rename manually - bummer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2014 Jul 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to purchase this Advanced Software for Splitting and Merging PDF Documents because I couldn't get the script to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2014 Jul 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Graham / everyone else

Did you ever figure out how to do this? I need to do a similar (or the same) task. I have a 12pp document and 100 records, I want to output 100 x 12pp PDF files, named from a column in the attached CSV.

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ruth!

I attempted it again today with a clear mind hoping that it was just something that I was missing or doing wrong. Unfortunately, I still was not able to successfully execute the process. I'm not sure if it's the JavaScript or the CSV file. If I had to guess, I would say that based on the complexity of the JavaScript, it's not counting the lines in the database properly. I've done everything possible to - and with the CSV file and end up with the same "The number of pages per row is not an integer…" error. I have a 597 page PDF that I need to split into 199, 3-page PDFs and rename. I really would hate to do this manually, but I have spent so much time trying to get the script to work that I could have . I cannot afford to purchase any software that might be available to accomplish this same thing. Should you manage to find a usable solution, please do share. I know that I would greatly appreciate it!

Best of luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't even get my head around the script

In Acrobat Pro you can automatically split the document into even sized "parts" - but you still need to manually rename which I'm hoping to avoid.

Pages > Split Document

If that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear you there! I can easily edit and break the script .

Yep, I can use that feature since my document can be split in groups of 3 pages. It's that darn renaming that's going to be the bane of my existence . And I know that as soon as I do rename manually, I'll get a change from someone that's going to require me to repeat the process all over again! So you see, I desperately need to automate this as much as possible. I'm sure you can relate .

Thank you for the suggestion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely, same problem here. I'll keep looking, maybe we can find a script to rename based on data, like first word in file? Then we can include it as a hidden field?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a plan! I'm going to keep at it as time permits. I'm not in a major crunch yet, but this PDF I am working on will need to go out in about 2 weeks.

Thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2014 Jul 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a workaround for this! I took my 597 page PDF and used the "Split" feature to break the PDF into 199, 3-page PDFs. Acrobat Professional will add numerals to the end of the resulting filenames as part of the split process. For example:

Filename_01.pdf

Filename_02.pdf

Filename_03.pdf

Since I had a CSV of the client names that I used in my data merge in InDesign, I created another column in Excel next to it. I copied the filename (omit the .pdf extension) of the first sequential PDF into the first cell of the second column and using the Auto Fill Option, (selecting "Fill Series") populated the column. My worksheet now contained two columns, the original name from the resulting Split PDF function, and a second column with the client name I used from the data merge.

I downloaded Advanced Renamer (Advanced Renamer - Free and fast batch rename utility for files and folders) and once working through getting familiar with its inner-workings, was able to batch rename all of my files. It's a free app, BTW. I was able to figure it out in just a couple of minutes and I'm pretty stupid .

What really helped me in this case was having the client names (199 in total) in Excel, so that eliminated a lot of work for me. If I do need to make changes to the original PDF and re-run the data merge feature, at least I have a process that is repeatable and won't require me to do anything manually. Whew!

Let me know if you have any questions and if you decided to go this route, let me know how you make out.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks gsnevius812. I know how hard and long you worked on this. I spent many hours over many days and wasn't able to find a solution. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, no need to thank me! But thank you for your efforts as well.

I was determined to find a way and t's not the most streamlined process. However, it does work, so I'll stick with it -- or at least until Adobe implements this functionality directly into either InDesign or Acrobat. Consider this a feature request guys!

Take care!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, thank you! This Advanced Renamer was downright Magical! I was creating 159 Banner ads for a new website. I exported them to jpgs in InDesign using a data merge, but they each needed to be named according to the topic they applied to in my database. I was able to copy that column out of Excel into a txt file and rename them all exactly like I needed. Saved me TONS of time! Thank you for taking the time to document your process and share what you found!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi randya79751184 ,

thank you for that comment.

I guess you used the List method with Advanced Renamer:

https://www.advancedrenamer.com/user_guide/method_list

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhhhh well done!! I shall try this and let you know how it works out. Thanks for all your hard work. I completely agree, this really could be implemented directly within inDesign but till will attempt this and thank you for your efforts.

All my client names are already in excel too so similar structure I think. Here's hoping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Years later… but for anyone using the revised script I have a fix if you're getting the error:

RaiseError: The file may be read-only, or another user may have it open. Please save the document with a different name or in a different folder.

Doc.extractPages:83:Console undefined:Exec

===> The file may be read-only, or another user may have it open. Please save the document with a different name or in a different folder.

The third prompt of the script asks for the relative location of a folder to save the pages in, it defaults to 'pdf/' and if you don't have said 'pdf' folder already created the scripts not smart enough to create it itself, and instead throws the error above.

The fix is to make sure you have a folder created that matches your answer to the third prompt -OR- leave the third prompt blank and all the files will be saved in place and not in a separate folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines