Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Data Merge is really slow

Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2019 Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings everyone!
I'm trying to create an Indesign file that uses data merge to streamline some processes.
The document is just one page and the import csv is about 120 columns and 2 rows (as a test import).
So far InDesign is just processing...and has been so for the past several hours. 
Not sure what can be done to improve/speed up the process..but as so far..manual work is faster.

I'm using InDesign CC 2019 on a gaming PC (so I don't think ram/cpu is an issue)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andreas,

We are extremely sorry to hear about this issue. There could be multiple factors that could affect performance. I would request if you can check a few more things and share the following details with us:

• Check with a different Excel file.
  • Could you please confirm where the files are saved(Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System /External HDD)?
  • What happens when you do data merge with same CSV file on a new InDesign file?
  • Does resetting InDesign Preferences (Set preferences in Adobe InDesign ) help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and InDesign will launch with default settings. You can also take a backup of the folders in case you want to. Location is mentioned in the article.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2019 Apr 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will likely need to show screenshots of the data merge setup and document, and the .csv file etc. Too hard to comment with the info provided so far.

Perhaps this will help:

Prepression: InDesign – Fast Data Merge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Data merge in Indesign is an Adobe earring to improve productivity and avoid looking for tricks to speed up document production.I am generating a 15 page document and it takes 1.5 minutes per combined page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines