Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DataMerge with special characters and QR code

Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

I use DataMerge to make business-cards with czech special characters (š, ř, č...) including QR codes for the vcards. To import these characters right, I use UTF-16 encoding for the data source. But when scanning the QR code with my iphone, it just says „No usable data found“. Is there any solution to this?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Ingo

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Hi Ingo,

me again. Inspected the result of data merge with your data source.

As I can see now from the Text field of the result code a lot of data is missing:

Vizitka_DataMerge_RESULT-UCS-2-LE-BOM-Source-15.1.2.226.indd.PNG

If I copy/paste the code from your text file ( without the quotes ) I get a different QR Code that should work:

Vizitka_DataMerge_HandTyped-v3-UCS-2-LE-BOM-Source-15.1.2.226.indd.PNG

Now, what could be the solution to your problem?

[1] Scripting the merge where the functionality of data merge is not used.

[2] Finding a way to insert the right text for the QR Code. Currently I cannot tell if that w

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ismael, 

I did not find a solution within InDesign but ended up with https://qrcode.studio. Once in a while my client activates a monthly subscription and generates all necessary QR codes via Bulk Import from XLS, CSV... The exported QR codes then are placed into the InDesign template of the business cards. It's already sometime ago, so I do not remember, but I think that's done with DataMerge, so it's not that much work. As my client has an own Adobe CC account, he does the business cards on his own now 🙂 

Hope that helps

Ingo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ingo,

thank you for your answer - in that case, I will make the QRs with Copy and Paste.

KR

Ismael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2022 Jun 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You might consider encoding the file as UTF 16 LE no BOM. I have success with complex script data merging with the BOM turned OFF. Many text file editors will do this for you, I use EditPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines