• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Device Independent Postscript file doesn't let me choose paper size or output options

Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2012 Oct 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to output pre-separated PDFs from InDesign CS6 (Mac OS 10.8). My only output options are a laser printer that can't actually produce 2-page spreads on one document, or a device independent postscript file for which all output options are grayed out.

I used to do all this from an earlier version of InDesign using the Adobe PDF plugin as the PPD, with Acrobat Pro was installed, but I have the latest version of Acrobat Pro, and that no longer works.

(If you must know 'why the pre-separated PDFs': the pressman at the company who prints our paper has never been able to figure out the settings on his RIP to spare me this endless nonsense.)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Oct 01, 2012 Oct 01, 2012

You can get the Adobe 9 PPD in InDesign CS6 Print option but not sure will it work on Mac 10.8, Follow the below steps and then check :-

1. Quit InDesign.

2. Navigate to /Applications/Adobe Indesign CS5/Presets/.

3. Within the Presets", folder Create a folder called PPDs (the folder name is case-sensitive).

4. Control-click the following link and choose Save Link As to download the Acrobat 9 PPD:

5. Place a copy of the downloaded PPD into the folder you created in step 3.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2013 Nov 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The process would be identical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2014 Dec 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked perfectly for me with OS X 10.8.5, InDesign CC 2014. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2015 Feb 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file is not available anymore - at least for me.

I have the same problem with Indesign CC on my mac with Yoshimite. All the options such as saving it in 'spreads' are greyed out, so my pdf gets created in single pages...

Is there another way or solution to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's still out there, though harder to find (there have been at least two links to it in the last 24 hours on this forum), but to save you some time you may download it from me at https://www.hightail.com/download/UlRRZHlwYUl0d0dKUmNUQw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I also tried to download this file from you but when i tried to open it I rec'd the following pop up box:

Search the App Store for an application that can open this document, or choose an existing application on your computer.

Can you help with this please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2015 Feb 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The File can be downloaded from Error | Save as PDF options unsupported | Create PDF | InDesign, Illustrator | Mac OS 10.6 or later by right-clicking  on the link and choosing Save Target As.

You don't want to open the PPD file (though you can using any plain text editor), you want to install it. The directions are in the link I just provided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you sooo much. You saved my day! Unbeliavable they still didn't solve this issue in 2020 version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2015 May 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOS!! step 5 shows me 404 error

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2015 May 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Step 5, or step 4 (which is the download step)? If the latter, try a right-click on Windows (or Mac, with a two-button mouse), or Control + Click on Mac with one button mouse. If you still get an error, try a different browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2015 May 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, it worked on Safari, i saved the file, but still can't select "custom" on the paper size menu with the Generic PostScript Printer, even after rebooting my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Choose Postscript File, then change the PPD to the Adobe PDF PPD that you just downloaded. Don't use the generic at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, the thing is that the file ADPDF9.ppd didn't download. it says "Failed - No File"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!!! it worked!! you saved my life!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2015 May 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was a huge help! Thank you all so much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. It worked very well.

I'm really thankful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2015 Aug 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU, Manish-Sharma for this pointer. We're usually at the end of our ropes or on a tight deadline by the time we resort to asking the community. It's so nice to receive a helping hand instead of being chided. This saved me so much time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 23, 2016 Jun 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That link currently goes to a "404 not found" page.

Any idea where I can still get the Acro9 PPD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2016 Jun 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob's link is still working for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When pressing the link error 404 comes up, please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2013 Dec 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to Manish-Sharma  for assisting me to solve this problem.  I wanted to print a custom-sized booklet (double-sided, of course) using an ink jet printer and was having a horrible time of it.  I had no trouble printing booklets in CS4, and this was my first attempt in CS6.  I tried to print directly to the installed printer and the document would not print exactly centered on the page.  Especially on a small document (4.25" x 7"), a half inch misalignment makes a huge difference.  The correct solution worked for me on Mavericks OS X 10.9.  Every once in a while, I need to print a small job myself.  After spending $1000 to upgrade to CS6, I have no interest in purchasing a plug-in to produce a product (a perfectly formatted PDF ready to print a double-sided booklet using any printer) that Creative Suite should be able to produce without any additional purchase.   Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2014 Jul 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing i had this problem on MAVERICK 10.9 and IND CS6. Now is working as should be.

Thank You

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2014 Oct 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Manish-Sharma, for me it works too! Have InDesign CC and OSX Yosemite

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2014 Dec 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!!   Worked as a charm!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat 9 PPD does not download. It says the file does not exist? Can anyone please help on this matter.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines