• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Display Performance Issues with linked files showing up as grey boxes

New Here ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having an issue with my Adobe Indesign where properly linked files are showing up as grey boxes. They even show up that way when I export them as transparent PNGs.

I've tried to make sure that the preferences and view display settings are set to "High Quality Display". Choosing "Typical Display" does the trick for them but they're showing up slightlypixelated. I've also tried uncecking CPU and GPU view modes.

I uninstalled InDesign and re-installed it, didn't work. I unintalled all Adobe apps (including creative cloud), and reinstalled CC and InDesign again, didn't work. 

I'm at a loss here.

Mac: Mac Mini (M1)

InDesign: 17.0

Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 6.15.00 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-11-07 at 6.21.03 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-11-07 at 6.23.46 PM.png

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, when trying to package my file, it showing this error message. 

Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 6.30.50 PM.png

And preflight is showing no erros with the links.

Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 6.35.16 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're certainly not the first to report issues with M1 machines but are you sure the links are fully updated and there's none missing. What are the other system specs for that Mac especially RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Links are all present and I'm able to open them in their respective file type (PSD, Ai, etc).

My MacMini (2020) has 16GB of RAM and 2TB HD. I made sure nothing else was running on the machine and taking over the RAM while testing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any really long file path names or special characters in the paths?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing out of the ordinary. These are files that have worked in the past and nothing has changed with the linked files.

I saved an IDML file and transfered it over to an Intel-based computer and it worked fine. No issues.

This is perplexing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you move the links as well? That would mean they have new paths...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, files have remained in place. If they were under a different file path then they would have shown up as not linked, correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That depends... ID will automatically search for links in the same path where the file is located, so unless the links are on a network drive of some sort I would expect the path to have changed and if they were in a folder you moved with the document you would not have seen an error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, this answer led me to try something I hadn't before and got it to work.

I right clicked on a missing object,  in the contextual menu selected Graphics and selected "Reveal in Finder"(InDesign knew exactly where this was on my computer—not a server). From the finder window, I simply dragged the file into the InDesign document where the grey box was displaying and viola, there it was displaying in High Quality.

The system knew where the file was and the file had not been updated. Why did this happen? 

Thank you Peter Spier for getting me to this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I really have no idea what's happening there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines