• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Drop cap paragraph gets indented

Guru ,
May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this is a bug, a fact of life, or intended behavior. But I've never seen it before.

Create a series of drop cap paragraphs with no other paragraph styles between them. When there are enough lines of text to cover the depth of the drop cap, the paragraphs indent correctly.

drop cap OK.png

But if there isn't enough lines to cover the drop cap, the next paragraph indents bizarrely.

drop cap indented.png

This doesn't seem right. What I expected would be the next paragraph does not indent and there is a space to cover the drop cap.

drop cap ideal.png

Has anyone run into this? Is it a known bug or something new?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Hi Sandee,

This behaviour has been around for years. I just confirmed that it is happening in both InDesign 2017 and InDesign 2019 on my computer. I have seen this numerous times when demoing Drop Caps in a Paragraph Style in a class. Inevitably someone, possibly myself, will apply the "Intro" style to everything.

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can only recommend to insert a shift-tab followed by a shift-return at the end of your N-line.

I know, this is only a short solution, but I don't know better yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sandee,

This behaviour has been around for years. I just confirmed that it is happening in both InDesign 2017 and InDesign 2019 on my computer. I have seen this numerous times when demoing Drop Caps in a Paragraph Style in a class. Inevitably someone, possibly myself, will apply the "Intro" style to everything.

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Michael for confirming it's been around for a while.

The more I look at it, it feel like a bug. I'm going to report it as such.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Sandee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines