• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

During the exporting INDD into IDML, the error occurs.

Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2017 Jun 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[InDesign CS5.5 version:7.5.3 ]
During the exporting INDD into IDML, the error below occurs.
Certain Paragraph Return (\r) is changed into 'PARAGRAPH SEPARATOR'(U+2029) and the first sentence’s paragraph style is changed into the paragraph style of the second sentence which makes two sentences into one.
Every time this bug occurs, we have to open the INDD file and change “U+2029” into another character such as “space” and export it again.
Finally we found out that this error occurs when 8000th character is “Paragraph Return (\r)”.
When 8000th character is “\r”, it is changed into “U+2029” automatically during exporting it to IDML. (it seems that it occurs every 8000th character: 8000th, 16000th …)

Now, we made a sample (test) files for your check.
test.indd : we put 9000 characters with two paragraph styles
test.idml (exported from text.indd):
8000th paragraph return (right after the last character “h”) had been changed into “U+2029” and its paragraph style had also been changed from “Description” to “Heading2” which is the next paragraph’s style.
FYI, A table with text is counted as one character only. (Text inside the table is not considered as a character in this case)

Please help us with this bug and let us know if there’s any solution for it.
Thank you for your support.

Sample files

http://ec2-54-64-80-132.ap-northeast-1.compute.amazonaws.com/indesign/test.zip

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 18, 2019 Mar 18, 2019

Hi together,

finally this bug that can be already seen with InDesign CS4 is fixed with the latest Prerelease versions of InDesign CC 2019.

Go to Prerelease and test versions 14.0.2.321 and 14.0.2.323. I am currently testing the fix with my old test files from CC 2017 and opened with the latest prerelease version.

The fix is working for me.

Also see Abhinav Kaushik's (Quality Engineer, Adobe InDesign) reply here:

Paragraph Return is changed into Paragraph Separator (U+2029) – Adobe InDesign Feedback

R

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

I think I have a workaround in case you have control over the (original) Indesign document.

I have created a characterstyle 'hardreturn' with no functionality and applied it to all 'end of paragraph'.

It blows up your story-file or icml a bit but at least the returns keep untouched when you open the idml/icml.

I haven't tested it thoroughly, but first results are promising.

This gives the possibilty to create a script that replaces characterstyle 'hardreturn' on open to '[None]' en before creating an idml or checking in a incopy to set characterstyle 'hardreturn' on every end of paragraph.

Still hope Adobe fixes this, because I'm not a real fan of workarounds.

If someone else can test this too or thinks of a better way, please let me know 🙂

Regards,

Glen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Glen,

of course we can count characters and table rows and if we can detect a case we could insert a white space (e.g. a blank) just before the paragraph return. This can be done by scripting if we have access to the original InDesign document.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug has arisen often at my company and caused problems in our books. I noticed that glenbal submitted this as an issue on InDesign Uservoice, so for what it's worth, in addition to the forum and bug reports I'd encourage everyone affected to vote for it here:

Paragraph Return is changed into Paragraph Separator (U+2029) – Adobe InDesign Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2019 Mar 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi together,

finally this bug that can be already seen with InDesign CS4 is fixed with the latest Prerelease versions of InDesign CC 2019.

Go to Prerelease and test versions 14.0.2.321 and 14.0.2.323. I am currently testing the fix with my old test files from CC 2017 and opened with the latest prerelease version.

The fix is working for me.

Also see Abhinav Kaushik's (Quality Engineer, Adobe InDesign) reply here:

Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines