• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

E-pub and space after

Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2024 Apr 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a large document in InDesign with translated poems in a bilingual setup. For print intent it is OK. But when I export to E-pub I have a problem The original language german is placed in on the left page in individual nonthreaded textframes and the danish translation is placed on the right page in individual textframes. I have given the last line of the poems in each textframe a paragraphstyle with a spaceafter 10,16 mm that corresponds to twolines in the layout. In my e-pub eksport "the spaceafter" for the last line of the poem is not respected, when I have 3 threaded frames for a long poem. How do I solve that?

I have the possibility to split the whole document but that might be to many individual files in the e-pub?

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2024 Apr 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Details matter a lot, here. 🙂

What version of InDesign are you using, and on what platform and OS version? What version of EPUB are you exporting to, and reflowable or fixed/FXL? And probably more significant than it might seen, what EPUB reader are you using the view the result? They vary enormously in rendering quality and details.

If you're not exporting to v3.x reflowable and viewing it in a 'vanilla,' standards-based reader like Calibre or Thorium, export problems are somewhere between expected and assured. 🙂

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.0 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2024 Apr 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used InDesign version 19.3 x64, I exported to E-PUB 3.0 reflowable
I solved the problem by using space before in the Headings instead, and then everything was fine.
But I find it strange. That should make no difference
I exported it to Calibre on the PC, and tested it on a Tolino E-bookreader. Thank you for pointing out the export problems!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2024 Apr 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Spacing in EPUB can be relatively simple, but to get precise results that repeat and (in reflowable) flow well, there are some convolutions. It is not in any way unusual, though, to space headings by putting space above; it is not normal, in any way, to space headings down by space-below a preceding style.

(Although to be fair, I have a complex e-book export method that uses precisely that inversion. It's quite advanced, though and simple space-above is usually the right choice chapter and other headings.)

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.0 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines