• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Easiest way to consolidate multi-file book into a single InDesign file instead?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2024 Apr 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've set up my first project using the Book feature.

I'm not sure that was a wise choice.   

I'm thinking of consolidating all the files into a new, single InDesign file and seeing if that works better.

So... what would be the best way to go about this?   Obviously, I could just Copy and paste the contents one after another, but ...

What's the impact of having a single threaded section thru the entire document vs one per chapter?   Is there a way to make sure I get one or the other choice?

Thanks!

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What issues are you having with the book feature? I have used it very successfully for years when creating large catalogs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I'm not sure that was a wise choice. 

Why not? What's the problem?

> I'm thinking of consolidating all the files into a new, single InDesign file and seeing if that works better.

Most probably not.

> So... what would be the best way to go about this? 

There are scripts around to do this, Google around and you'll find them.

> What's the impact of having a single threaded section thru the entire document vs one per chapter?

When you create a single big threaded section everything will slow down. Also, when something goes wrong you lose everything. If you have to have everything in a single file you should at least have separate stories/threads for the chapters.

But really, like @SJRiegel , I've been using the book feature for many years in small and big projects and never had a problem.

So maybe first outline what problems you seem to be having.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@David Wendelken 

It depends on the size of your document - and number of graphic objects.

If it's mainly text - then you could have everything together - but rather no more than few hundred pages.

If you want to join everything together - you should copy/move pages - quicker and safer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As noted, there are scripts that will help and various other approaches, but basically — it's cut the content from each successive chapter file and paste it into the end of the new combined file. Repeat. Then tidy up and create (mainly) new chapter heading styles that properly break the content, sometimes to any next page, but most formally to the next odd-numbered, right-hand, recto page.

The Book feature can be an asset for many reasons, but for books of moderate size, with one author/designer, it just adds a layer of project management complexity without bringing any real advantage to the end goal. A lot of first-time designers (or first-big-book designers) assume it's the right or only choice, when it's just one balanced option between the two.

Use a Book when —

• Chapters are really separate in some way, such as under different authors, contributors or editorial teams.
  • The overall book is very large (over 500 pages, usually).
  • The content is dense in added elements like illustrations, tables, charts etc. that make for very large file sizes.
  • And sometimes, when the chapter content needs to be selected and arranged in different configurations, such as to make multiple grade-level books from a common set of component chapters.

Otherwise, it's usually more efficient all around to keep it in one file and use chapter breaks, Articles/Stories, Sections and other tools to divide up the content.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @David Wendelken , I assume this relates to your other question about imposition? With the source document active you can use the Page panel’s flyout menu Move Pages and select a Move to: document. You can also select pages in the panel and drag and drop between documents:

Screen Shot 17.png

You might have to clear any Section starts:

Screen Shot 15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks!  That's very helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines